No internet connection on server 2003
I have a strange issue with one of the servers with have in the office(Windows Server 2003 R2 w/Service pack 2). We are unable to connect to the internet from it but we can access it via LAN. The machine has second network connection that is for a virtual network and I can ping devices on it (this virtual network uses its own nic and has a dedicated router). I can ping computers on our lan including both our gateways but cannot ping computers on the internet. I have tried setting each gateway as the default but neither has any effect. It cannot resolve dns for any internet sites. The machine itself is set up with a static IP and acts as a DNS server. It appears that it cannot find a route out to the internet even though I can confirm that both gateways are working. Traffic can be routed in to the server via the gateways - we have an asp.net web service running on the server that is used by an external system. Any thoughts?
July 7th, 2010 12:01pm

After more digging it seems that the server is trying to use the virtual network to access the internet on. How can I stop it doing this? Strangely this all used to work, it just stopped recently.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 7th, 2010 1:18pm

Hi Praetorian65 , Thanks for posting here and update Please check if it worked with change the NIC’s binding order on you server and move the physical NIC to the top of list Changing the Binding Order in Windows server 2000/2003: · Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. · Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections. · On the Advanced menu, click Advanced Settings. · In the Connections box, select the adapter you want to change the binding order on. After you select the adapter, the Bindings for Local Area Connection box displays the current binding order. · Use the arrows on the right-side of the box to move the protocol you choose to the top of the list, and then click OK. · If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes. Meanwhile ,please post unedited ipconfig /all result and route table of this server here. Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 8th, 2010 8:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics