No event logs when RAID fails in Server 2008 and R2
From what I'm finding out (by web searching) they forgot to include event logging in Server 2008 for when a Windows software RAID fails in some way such as missing disk, failed redundancy, etc. This is REALLY annoying as I was trying to setup email notifications for when this happens so I can fix it. I'm just using this on my servers at home, so I'm not big on the idea of spending a lot of money on a hardware RAID, it just does some simple network file sharing and streaming and software RAID is fine. Is there anyway to get this to work properly, like it used to?! Hotfix? Sacrifice a small animal? Free third-party tools that would work if nothing else? Would a MOM server be able to notify me? (been considering setting up one of those and SCCM to mess with)
March 3rd, 2011 11:10pm

Hi, As you mentioned, When a Software Raid is "at risk" we write an Event Log Warning Entry in Windows 2003. But not in Windows 2008 and R2. It is a reported issue, however as "it won't be a significant improvement for the user to notice the degraded array", it will not be fixed in nearly future. Sorry for the inconveience. Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 7th, 2011 4:26am

If there is anything further we can help please just let us know.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
March 9th, 2011 2:36am

Sorry the "it won't be a significant improvement for the user to notice the degraded array" just blew me away. How is knowing when your RAID failed not significant? So is it something that will be able to be monitored if I setup a SCOM server? Can I at least be notified using that?
March 9th, 2011 4:52pm

Hi, I can fully understand the inconvenience. I will record this case. If there are a number of customers have the same concern, we may see improvement in future. Sorry for the current result.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
March 10th, 2011 12:25am

We are going to migrate to Windows 2008R2, so we will no longer be alerted for drive failures. What good are redundant disks if you cannot tell when your drives have died? We will only find out if you check EVERY 2008 server manually multiple times a day? What good is the new features of event forwarding, or triggered events if Windows server 2008R2 no longer even writes events for the most failure prone and critical hardware component in your server?
March 22nd, 2011 3:46pm

It is a reported issue, however as "it won't be a significant improvement for the user to notice the degraded array", it will not be fixed in nearly future. Sorry for the inconveience. I don't think the users were polled on this one.....
March 22nd, 2011 5:44pm

Thanks guys for chiming in. The only way Microsoft will know this is a big deal (you would think they would, but apparently not), is for people to complain. I found this out myself when I was trying to set up event triggered tasks to email on low disk space and RAID failure, only to find no events are created on RAID failures! I have setup a SCOM 2007 R2 server in my testing environment. It registers and alerts me for low disk space just fine, but the availability monitor is not tripped when I break a RAID volume. I have tried offlining a disk, which results in failed redundancy, and also shutting down the VM and removing a drive, and neither seems to trip an alert. Do I have to do something to get it to monitor correctly?
March 23rd, 2011 4:41pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics