No Windows Defender on Server 2008 R2 wSP1?
I have two machines that I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 x64 (617601) using the ISO image from Technet Subscriber downloads that I burned to DVD. There were no problems installing but recently I noticed that Windows Update wasn't telling me about Windows Defender definiition updates. On further examination I realized that it was because it was not installed. I tried installed Windows Defender using the downloadable package WindowsDefenderX64.msi, but it tells me that I don't need it because Vista includes Windows Defender. I thought Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 included it also, since my other Server08R2 machines have it. What gives? Has it been removed from the Server 2008 R2 SP1 integrated install package? Or am I already infected somehow? Note, my other 2008 R2 servers were upgraded to SP1 using the SP1 package. I am using these machines in an isolated environment, for testing and learning purposes.
July 5th, 2011 4:54pm

Hi, It seems Windows Defender is turned off. Please go to Control Panel, select "View by: Small icons". Is Windows Defender listed? Meanwhile, have you installed antivirus program? If so, the antivirus program may turn off the Windows Defender. Regards, Bruce Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 6th, 2011 5:17am

Thanks, Bruce. I did check that after I found a Support Base page suggesting it. There is no icon. There is also no "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender" folder nor the three msvc?80.dll's in System32, etc. In other words, it is as if it is not installed. I tried "brute force", expanding WindowsDefenderX64.msi, copying the files to the right places and registering any of the dll's that regsvr32.exe could. But of course it did not run without the security catalogs being registered properly. After I posted yesterday, I downloaded the newest Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 and started a full scan. It is still running. I have replicated a filesystem that is about a terabyte on these machines. I may need to blow one of these machines away and reinstall, just to see if the original install has Windows Defender. I should mention that I also have the Microsoft iScsi Targer ver. 2.1 on these machines. Brian
July 6th, 2011 2:03pm

I think that defender is part of the desktop experience pack. Try going to Server Manager -> add features -> desktop experience. That will add most of the features that are missing between server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. Hope that helps. Toby
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 7th, 2011 6:07am

Good catch, Toby. You are correct. I don't see it shown anywhere but after I installed the Desktop Experience pack, there it was. Windows Update said I had a defination update waiting to download.
July 7th, 2011 4:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics