No VM's listed on newly added Host

I am running VMM 2012 SP1 with Rollup 2. I just added a host that had not been added before. The host is running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. The agent installed successfully and the status of the host shows all the correct config (ie. memory, disk space, etc). However, it doesn't show that any VM's are running on it. However, there are four existing VM's running on this host. If I open Hyper-V Manager onthe host, it shows 4 VM's running. The Windows firewall for the Domain is turned off so that's no the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

June 25th, 2013 1:59am

If You run the VMM with elevated privileges (Run as administrator), the problem is solved?

Also, set Virtual Machine Manager Agent service to Delayed Start.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2013 10:21am

How long did you wait?

Quite frequently enumeration is not instant.  And every now and then you need to remove the Hyper-V Server from management and then add it back.

And as always, check the job logs for errors.

June 25th, 2013 6:15pm

Thanks for your reply's Brian and Denis.

• restarted the VMM agent service on the host and then refreshed the host in VMM. Still no VM's listed.
  • ran the VMM console as Administrator. Still no VM's listed.
  • It's been four days since I added it and still no VM's so I removed and re-added the host to VMM. Still no VM's listed. No errors in the job log but when I added it, it completed with this warning, however this is NOT a clustered host, nor is it connected to a SAN.

Warning (26179)
Multipath I/O is not enabled for known storage arrays on host <my host server name>.

Recommended Action
If you want to provision storage using VMM, then enable Multipath I/O for storage arrays being used on the host manually after adding the Multipath I/O feature.

June 26th, 2013 5:20pm

That warning has nothing to do with enumeration of running VMs.

If the VMs are in Hyper-V Manger, they should appear in SCVMM after adding the Hyper-V server.

How is the virtual switch configured?

Are you using converged networking?

Did SCVMM create the VM switch?

June 26th, 2013 7:15pm

Here is the virtual switch settings for the host. We have other hosts configured exactly the same and I have no issues with them. The switch was not created by VMM. It was created on the host via Hyper-V Manager. We do utilize QoS and VoIP protocols on many of our network ports, but I just checked the ports the host is connected to and ther is no VoIP or QoS configured. I did notice that the prots for this host are conifgured for Full duplex with speed 1000, whereas our other servers are set for automatic. I'm not sure why, I'd have to ask my network guru. Would that affect it?

June 27th, 2013 10:02pm

I opened a case with Microsoft. I'll let you all know what they say.
July 1st, 2013 6:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics