No Prompt for Product Key in WMS 2012 Prem Installation

We've bought the license for WMS 2012 Prem.  However, both the ISOs downloaded from VLSC and Evaluation Version on the public DO NOT PROMPT for Product Key, and just keep on giving the error "The product key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for installation.  Enter a different product key."

Urgent, please help.....

March 16th, 2013 7:40am

I've run into the same problem.   Seems like the ISO on VLSC is screwed up.    There is no way I can see to enter another product key.   Quality control anyone?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 1st, 2013 6:58pm

We have looked into this since we've now heard three reports of similar symptoms. We are unable to reproduce the problem but suspect that the systems on which WMS was installed have OEM Activation product keys programmed into the BIOS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2796988

You can get details of an existing product key by opening an elevated command prompt (Windows key, cmd, right click and select run as administrator at the bottom of the screen [or Shift + F10 if you are still in setup]) and typing slmgr.vbs /dlv

A simpler way to change the key than described above is in this KB article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2750773/en-us

Just typing slmgr.vbs /ipk <my product key>  worked for me to change the key.

And you can rest assured that the ISOs on VLSC and DLC are NOT screwed up. They are verified before we release them.

Let us know if that solved the problem.

Thanks,

JD

April 11th, 2013 8:56pm

Hi, having the same problem: trying to install WMS 2012 on a Lenovo Thinkstation.  There is Windows 7 Pro activated and running on the HDD from the OEM, and I get the same out of the box experience errors. 

When I try to go to Administrator Control Prompt in WMS 2012 setup (Shift+F10), no slmgr.vbs lines work, reporting "slmgr.vbs is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I tried looking for the command (heading to x:\ and typing "dir slmgr.vbs /s") and I can't find it on the DVD.  The Windows 7 volume slmgr.vbs file throws a Windows Script Host error in Hex when ran in WMS 2012 (might be deserved, it wasn't made for Windows Server 2012).

Ideas?

June 27th, 2013 2:00am

Dont you use UEFI device with OS key integrated into it?
June 30th, 2013 12:50pm

Does the GUI method work with server OS's?  With client OS's you can just use Run with the command ' SLUI 3 ' and it'll prompt like a regular OEM System Builder or retail copy.  It's a bit easier if you want to use copy and paste from a website or email receipt since you can use the GUI shortcut keys.
July 1st, 2013 7:02pm

Karel: Yes.  The system has a Windows 8 Pro key in the BIOS.  I even installed Windows 8 to see if anything would change in the Installation, and surprise: it didn't.

Joe: WMPS 2012 runs the OOBE Installer, which never gets to Step 1,since it informs me the BIOS Key is wrong and exits without a chance to enter a correct key.

slmgr commands don't work in the Preinstall environment.  I can't even find the slmgr.vbs file on the disc, system, hidden or otherwise.  When in Windows 8, trying slmgr or slui commands shown above doesn't work before running install (and they shouldn't: Windows 8 doesn't need the key, WMPS does.)

SLUI doesn't work on the command line either. Same error as slmgr... if it's not on the Install Disc I can't use it (slmgr.vbs on the Windows 8 hard drive doesn't work either; it reports Windows Script Host is not running as a service.  The Preinstallation command line is all I have.)  The Multipoint Server product does not begin installation without the key, so I can't use SLUI after the fact.

So, because of this, OEM assembled computers can't be used for Windows Server, even if they otherwise meet the system requirements?

July 2nd, 2013 9:35am

Try to make installation USB (for example with USB/DVD Tool) and in the sources folder, create text file PID.txt and put these lines there

[PID]

Value=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

where xxxxx is product key for WMS.

Other option could be that some UEFI has switch to BIOS mode---

July 2nd, 2013 9:41am

I've tried Legacy mode, the BIOS check for the key persists.  It's still read from BIOS no matter how I boot (UEFI, Legacy or Auto are the choices.)

I'll try a USB image, fingers crossed. (Someone somewhere is rolling their eyes: "You mean you weren't using a USB Drive?")

July 2nd, 2013 10:46am

Steps taken:

Get Windows 7 USB Tool

Install ISO to a 4GB USB Drive

Copied PID.txt to /sources directory of the USB Drive (in my case, J:\) and inserted product key.  Double check the filename (i.e.: if using right-click, new, Text Document, make sure the MS-DOS filename isn't PID.txt.txt or some crap like that.)

Restarted system and installed WMPS.

Thanks for the hints, Karel, perhaps better documentation can be offered for this product someday.
July 2nd, 2013 11:56am

Hi, as I wrote, put it in the Sources folder...
July 2nd, 2013 12:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics