No Internet on VM
Hello, I am running a Windows XP virtual machine on Windows Server 2008 host. From the guest I am able to ping Internet addresses (successfully resolved also) but http protocol does not get through (no internet). Both firewalls are deactivated. Any ideas? Do you think the problem is likely on the guest side? Thanks
December 21st, 2010 5:31am

Hi, Please help me to collect the following information: 1. What virtualization platform did you used? 2. Did you get the same issue on the host machine? 3. Did you get the same issue with other virtual machines? Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 21st, 2010 6:08am

Hi, Please help me to collect the following information: 1. What virtualization platform did you used? 2. Did you get the same issue on the host machine? 3. Did you get the same issue with other virtual machines? Best Regards, Vincent Hu Hi, 1) I'm using VMWare as virtualization software. Do you think the virtualization software could be responsible for such a problem? 2) The Internet is working perfectly on the host. 3) I don't have other virtual machines to try, but the same VM works fine when on an other host I tried. Thanks
December 21st, 2010 11:25am

Hi, Please help me to collect the following information: 1. What virtualization platform did you used? 2. Did you get the same issue on the host machine? 3. Did you get the same issue with other virtual machines? Best Regards, Vincent Hu Hi, 1) I'm using VMWare as virtualization software. Do you think the virtualization software could be responsible for such a bug? 2) The Internet is working perfectly on the host. 3) I don't have other virtual machines to try, but the same VM works fine when on an other host I tried. Thanks
December 21st, 2010 11:25am

What are your network setting for the guest OS in VMWare? NAT? Bridge?
December 21st, 2010 2:02pm

What are your network setting for the guest OS in VMWare? NAT? Bridge? NAT Thanks for trying to help me, I've been on this issue for a couple of hours now.
December 21st, 2010 2:26pm

OK, I see this sometime with NAT..something with the routing. Try switching it over to bridge, you should then get an IP from the dhcp server. After chaning the setting in VMare, log onto the guest and run ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew...that should have you up and running... One last thing to check, make sure VMWare tools are installed (I know, dumb answer...but sometimes it's something simple that we overlook out of frustration).
December 21st, 2010 2:30pm

OK, I see this sometime with NAT..something with the routing. Try switching it over to bridge, you should then get an IP from the dhcp server. After chaning the setting in VMare, log onto the guest and run ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew...that should have you up and running... One last thing to check, make sure VMWare tools are installed (I know, dumb answer...but sometimes it's something simple that we overlook out of frustration). Ok but I'm not sure if I should be using Bridged. The host is a VPN/VMWare server and I want the VMs to run on the virtual network. (I've searched for architecture documentation but not really successfull so feel free to point me good information). But shouldn't NAT work? Is there incompatibility issues with the VMWare NAT service? Like I said, I am able to ping Internet addresses. I read it could be a proxy server misconfiguration, but I tried without success. Many thanks
December 21st, 2010 11:00pm

Hi, You can use NAT, however, as you mentioned that the host computer is a VPN server, so please try to switch the network connection of the VM from NAT to bridge, then we can narrow down the cause of the issue. Thanks for your understanding. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
December 22nd, 2010 5:06am

Hi, You can use NAT, however, as you mentioned that the host computer is a VPN server, so please try to switch the network connection of the VM from NAT to bridge, then we can narrow down the cause of the issue. Thanks for your understanding. Best Regards, Vincent Hu Hi, Yes it works using Bridged connection. Thanks
December 22nd, 2010 1:00pm

Hi, So, it seems that there are some settings issue with the VMware on your computer, please contact VMware to perform the further research. Thanks for your understanding. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
December 23rd, 2010 2:28am

Thanks! I tried VMWare Workstation instead and everything works fine. It really is a problem with VMWare Server 2.0.x. I'm just disappointed there's no way to narrow down the problem further.
January 13th, 2011 3:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics