No Certificate Templates could be found
This seems to be a common problem, but without a common solution. I have stood up a Server 2008 R2 SP1 member server in my domain and installed the certificate services and web enrollment components. Auto enrollment works fine, but the web enrollment portion is giving me the error that no certificate templates could be found. This is an Enterprise CA and we have created custom templates for about half of our active templates, but none of the templates appear to be visible to the web enrollment process. I need to issue certificates to systems that are in a different domain, and I cannot find a way to do that with out the web enrollment service. Does the Web enrollment process require special configuration to get it to work? I have tried changing application pools so I could change to the Network service, and I have tried adding security settings to give the CA computer account read / enroll permissions on a template or two. It does not seem to matter how the template subject matter tab is configured either. Any help would be appreciated.
May 3rd, 2012 3:43pm

One new piece of information I have discovered. When I run certutil.exe -CATemplates (Case senstative), I see all of the templates, but they are marked as access denied. As a domain admin / Enterprise admin I see that I have read / Write / Enroll, so I am not sure why I get access denied.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2012 5:35pm

Hi, Please try to perform the following steps: 1. Disable Anonymous Authentication and enable Windows Authentication, so the template permission information map to the current logged user credential. 2. Remove and add the configured Template from the CA Snap CA Console, Certificate Template -> Select and Deleted the Template -> right click on "Certificate Template" -> New -> "Certificate Template to Issue". added back the configured template. Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis Cheng TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.Elytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
May 4th, 2012 3:54am

I have tried recreating templates and creating new templates. I have tried changing settings within templates including changes that affect the subject and the exportability of the private key. Nothing makes them visible.
May 4th, 2012 10:16am

That has to be what it is... I was converting everything over to V3 copies before adding them. Since I have no Version 2 or 3 templates, I guess I will see no templates in the old method. I guess I have some more reading to do... Appreciate the help.
May 7th, 2012 12:07pm

I ran into this issue lately as well. Turns out the issue in my case was the Authentication settings on a few virtual directories. Have a look at a blog post I wrote about it. Hopefully it helps you or others. http://patrickhoban.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/1256Patrick Hoban http://patrickhoban.wordpress.com
July 8th, 2012 6:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics