Newbie :- IP and subnet for new install of windows 2008 server-?
I have looked at the faq's but cant seem to find an answer for my what hopefully is a pretty simple question. I am running a virtual server on my laptop and am studying the MS cert 70-640 the prolem I have when setting up the Domain Controller is that I have an ip of 192.168.1 xx and then a default gateway of 192.168.3.xxx and dns of 192.16.1.xx when DC wizard finishes it tells me that the subnet msk of 255.255.255. is not valid for the above ip and in addition I need to make the ip a static rather than dynamic..(I am aware that the server should be static) but I wanted to make it so that I can hook up other pcs to the server (when in a home enviroment).. I am going down the virtual route as I have more time at work to study than at home, and obv cant plug my system into the companies network.. What is the soloution in the book it suggets I need to make the ip 10.0.0.12 and the pref dns of 10.0.0.11.
May 10th, 2010 1:07pm

Subnet mask 255.255.255.255 meas "only this IP". Try to use 255.255.255.0 Esteban
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 10th, 2010 4:23pm

Based on the information you provided below, what stands out first is the fact that your static IP is 192.168.1.? and your DEFAULT GATEWAY is 192.168.3.?. That is not possible with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. To be able to have that configuration (IP and gateway), the subnet mask would have to be something like 255.255.0.0. However, I suspect that is not really the subnet design you were looking for. Simply keep in mind that the IP of your host and default gateway needs to be on the same subnet. That is determined by the subnet mask value. Learning about subnetting is going to take more than a forum thread. Also, I noticed that the DNS entry you used was 192.16.1.? I assume that the 16 is probably a typo (while it is possible to have that IP, but based on the fact that you are working on a lab, it is highly improbable, but more like a typo). Your DNS entry should be 192.168.1.?. TCP/IP is the foundation for what you are studying. My advice to you is that it is in your best interest to buy some books on this subject matter and get it down packed as soon as possible. It will make a world of difference. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
May 10th, 2010 4:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics