New at the IT thing....business owner
Hello everyone, I was hoping someone could guide me. Does SERVER 2003 R2 have any issues with network connections? I have lost connection to the only wired computer to the server all others were wireless after a wireless router failure. History: I have server 2003 r2 for two years now. It has a network card with two NIC's. One I have had connected to the internet, and the other connected to my reception computer to access our main program and as one hard line in case the wireless router dies (which it did). I shared internet access using ICS switch on the NIC connected to the internet. I added a wireless router between the internet modem and the server. This is so I can connect my laptops to the server because the staff need the computers to be mobile in the office. Everyone logs into the main program using RDP. I have a static IP address from my ISP. Thanks, Paul
January 28th, 2011 4:02am

>>I was hoping someone could guide me. Does SERVER 2003 R2 have any issues with network connections? No if everything is setup correctly From you description it is hard to tell what is your problem. Can you specify what does not work or what are you trying to achieve? Can you also provide ipconfig /all from both server and client/s With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 28th, 2011 4:17am

Hi, Thank you for your post here. Beside the required information Krystian.Zieja mentioned, could you please also explain the exact symptom you experience? · I have lost connection to the only wired computer to the server all others were wireless after a wireless router failure. 1. You lost the connection to the server from where? Do you lost connection from wireless clients to the server? 2. What does the network topology look like? How do server and wireless clients get connected with each other?
January 28th, 2011 9:54am

Hi Paul Heres what i am Assuming from the information you gave us. you have/had a wireless router connected to the internet on the internet/outside port of the wireless router (with the IP Address your ISP gave you) and a server connected on the Inside/LAN port of the Wireless router (with the local IP address). The wireless router is configured to allow users to connect to the network and probably has DHCP configured as well or the wireless clients all have static ip addresses. You shared the port on the server connected to the wireless router (to the internet as it were) and connected the computer at the reception to the second port on your server (using a crossover cable) so it got an ICS DHCP address from the shared internet port on the server. Now your wireless router is dead!! And you can no-longer connect to the computer in the reception which hosts your main program, and i assume you are trying to connect to the program from the server. I would think since the router is dead, the port on your server which is/was connected to the wireless router now shows not connected.. so ICS is not running anymore as this was the port that was shared. So no more DHCP to the reception computer so no more connectivity. That is why you cannot connect to the "only wired computer to the server" You need to replace the old wireless router as soon as possible or configure static addresses on the server and on the machine hosting your program so you can connect. When buying the wireless router make sure it is robust and is a good brand that wont start developing faults quickly :) And a change in network design would be great.. if you could connect the sever and the machine hosting your program to a switch that would be great or to a wireless router if it has enough LAN ports. i hope i was of help, as i mentioned i am assuming based on the info you gave me and so the risk of being totally wrong is quite high hehe this could turn out to be a waste of digital ink hehe :) but i hope this sheds some light on your problem.tech-nique
January 28th, 2011 12:47pm

Wow do you read tea leaves in my cup too? This must have happened to you before. I had no idea my server would do this. Thanks. Sorry for not posting my ip config everyone......but I lost my internet connection shortly after I posted the question....ugggg
January 29th, 2011 7:05am

Sorry for not posting my ip config everyone......but I lost my internet connection shortly after I posted the question....ugggg
January 29th, 2011 7:05am

Sorry for not posting my ip config everyone......but I lost my internet connection shortly after I posted the question....ugggg
January 29th, 2011 7:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics