New Server 2008 install can't see website (not companyweb)
I recently had a need to "upgrade" my net work from 2003 to 2008. More like my 2003 crashed and burned, I had the software for 2008 so what the heck.That was my first mistake, installing it without doing my research. So I attempted to set up 2008 just like my 2003 network:2 nic cards (yeah I know i don't really work)internal network mydomain.localweb site set up on mydomain.comFor some reason now I cannot get to the web or ftp sites from within the local network. You can access it just fine from some other site over the web.From home I can ping www.mydomain.com and it resolves to its ipaddress and works fine.At work when I ping the same address it resolves to the ip but I get request timed out errors with 100% data loss.Any ideas what is causing this?
April 28th, 2009 10:07pm

hi marty,you mean to say the website which you have hosted on IIS is working good from internet and other subnets, but failing within the same subnet where iis server is hosted ?can you please provide more info like event id which are getting logged in event viewer on IIS server ?i have seen issues other way round , accessing website externally / internet doesnt work but it works fine in intranet.also what is the HTTP error you get when you access the website ?what happens when you access website using IPaddress ?i see that there are 2 domains mydomain.com and mydomain.local have you created appropriate records for these in dns server ? have you setup reverse lookup zone in dns ?sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 29th, 2009 7:07am

First I should also state that this is SBS2008, I forgot to mention that in my original post. Whether that has any relevance or not I don't know.I have looked into the logs for IIS and don't see anything that refers to when I was trying to access it. I don't believe it is making it that far. It almost seems as though it is a firewall issue, but I could be completely off base.When I am sitting at my computer at work and try to browse to www.mydomain.net or the IP address I get a error page that says this link appears to be broken (a google toolbar feature).When I am at home everything works fine.I really only have 1 domain, mydomain.local, but IIS hosts mydomain.com and mydomain.net. mydomain.com is the company web site and exchange handles the mail for this domain. This used to be handled by an ISP but got moved in house.I access the RWW on remote.mydomain.com. I can also access this site from my computer at work, no problem.mydomain.net is used for customers to access reports and files. I really don't need this anymore but I don't want to retrain the customers.Do I need to create DNS records to access these hosted domains? I looked into the DNS Manager and see that a Forward Lookup Zone was created for the remote.mydomain.com.Thanks for the reply.
April 29th, 2009 3:53pm

Hi, For the Windows Small Business Server issue, I suggest that you post it in the Windows Small Business Server discussion group. The support professionals there are better equipped to assist you. For your convenience, Ive included the link of Windows Small Business Server discussion group: Discussions in Windows Small Business Server Generalhttp://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs SBS08 Public Newsgroupshttps://connect.microsoft.com/cougar/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8333 Thank you for your understanding.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2009 6:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics