New KMS Host server name won't update on client.
I renamed my KMS host server and everything looks updated in DNS; however, my Windows 7 clients still reports the old server name when I run a slmgr.vbs /dlv I have confirmed that my _VLMCS is correct (I only show the one after I manually deleted the old name reference), I have confirmed the DDNS is enabled in DHCP, I have released and renewed IP, I have run slmgr.vbs /ckhc to turn off host caching and then with the /skhc to turn it back on.... but the client still references the old name. Any ideas?
April 22nd, 2011 10:43am

You can verify that the client sees the appropriate DNS record by running nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp.<your DNS domain>. If that shows the correct record, is it possible that the KMS server address was manually specified with slmgr.vbs -skms? You can use slmgr.vbs -ckms to clear any manually specified DNS name and restore the default functionality of using DNS SRV records to locate a KMS server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 22nd, 2011 10:34pm

SRV record comes back correct uplon nslookup. The KMS server was not manually specified at any time, but I went ahead and ran the slmgr.vbs with the -ckms switch as suggested and still no change. Running with the /dlv still reports my old server name.
April 23rd, 2011 4:17am

If you try slmgr.vbs -ato to attempt to activate now, does it succeed? slmgr.vbs -dlv might just be showing the KMS server last used to activate.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 23rd, 2011 10:48am

Hello Tankster, After clearing the cache, try stopping the service and restarting it ( or rebooting), then try a slmgr /ato.Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
April 23rd, 2011 3:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics