New Incident Resolution Category with UR7

We updated our development environment to UR7, and during our testing we discovered that there has been a new resolution code added to the resolution list. 

See screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/9CKeb7c.png

'Resolved by parent incident' is a newly created Resolution Code, and in our List settings we are not able to delete it. 

We also had another resolution code 'Network issue' that we couldn't delete, which is now missing. 'Resolved by parent issue' is a new GUID and has not replaced 'Network issue'. 

Has anyone else noticed this problem, and how can I delete this list value?

September 8th, 2015 9:38pm

Hi Tony,  Fancy meeting here.  ;-)

Some list values are unable to be deleted as the system knows that they are in use in a template or a workflow somewhere inside SCSM. If you go to the effort of finding where these are set and set the list value to a different value you will be able to delete the list value.

The problem with renaming list values is the value will be stored back in the MP that the list value was originally stored in and this can be a default MP that may get overwritten when you upgrade to a new UR.

"SO HOW DO I GET MY LIST VALUES TO NOT BE OVERWRITTEN BY NEW UR's?" I hear you scream.....

Good Question. The key is to save any custom list value in a custom MP. That way when Microsoft  release a new UR or even new version (2016) the default list values get replaced, but yours remain in your custom MP.

Here's the catch! - You have ONE chance to do this!

The first time ANYONE in your management group changes or creates a list value it will prompt for an MP to save it to. This is the one and ONLY time that you can make this choice. From there on in, all values will be saved to that MP. So choose wisely.

How do you know what MP a list's custom values are being stored in?

Again, glad you asked. Check out this blog by this awesome and good looking guy. (Really modest too.)  ;-)
https://systemcenternoise.wordpress.com/2015/06/30/what-management-pack-in-scsm-contains-my-list-values/

Hope this helps

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 8:53am

Hi Brett, 

This is something that we have done already. We deleted all the OOB list values from the Incident Resolution Category list and were able to create our own MP to store any new values; however, we could not delete 2 values out of the Incident Resolution Category list: No Fault Found and Network Issue (See my previous question: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/3eb7bbb2-51be-44a7-b6cb-0cd0843fad72/incident-resolution-list-not-able-to-delete-all-oob-values?forum=systemcenterservicemanager)

I have tried to find where these values are set up in SCSM, but I only found 'Network Issue' in the Incident Settings under "Choose Child Incident Category:". After changing that value to something else, I still wasn't able to delete Network Issue

Is it simply impossible to delete No Fault Found and Network Issue? Are some people able to have a completely empty Incident Resolution Category list?

September 13th, 2015 7:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics