New 2008 DC shows as not writeable/unavailable
Hello.i just promoted a 2008 server to domain controller, and there is a problem. The other DC is a 2003 std. serverwhen i go to ChangeDomain Controller from server 2008. it shows the 2008 server as being unavailable.when i do the same from the 2003 server it dosent show the 2008 server under "Any Writable Domain Controller"Soobviouslysomething is wrong, any ideas? Replication etc. seems to beworking fine. Screenshots: http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dc2003pb5.jpghttp://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dc2008lx6.jpg/Michael
August 18th, 2008 3:54pm

Hi, Form your picture, ADUC on Windows server 2003 displays correctly. However, Windows server 2008 seems to be abnormal. I built the similar environment according to your description. The result is expected. To further assist on this, could you please inform me if you use RTM version of Windows Server 2008? If so, which version are you using? Please locate: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ComponentBased Servicing\Version] registry key. There is a subkey which contains the Windows build information. What is the registry value? Is it 6.0.6001.18000? In addition, if you choose 'connect' on Windows server 2008 side to connect Windows server 2003 DC, can you successfully connect it?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2008 1:04pm

Hi.Thankyou for your reply.Yes that registry value is correct.Yes i can connect to 2003 from 2008, and the other way around./Michael
August 19th, 2008 4:11pm

Okay i just got off the phone with MS, apparently that is no problem. kinda strange since both servers in my test domain shows as being online, but i have transfered fsmo roles, and everything seems to be working fine. thank you for your time./Michael
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2008 9:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics