Networking question
I have two file servers, serverA andserverb. They are connected througthe WAN.They are also connected through thebackup DR WAN. Users cannotroute the backup WAN, the two file servers can. If a user wants to copy a file from serverA to serverB, it goes through the WAN. The wan is a T1, the DR is a 10MB VPN. Is there anyway I can create folder or shortcut or DFS root or anything that will allow users to drop large files on serverA and have it route through the backup WAN? It seems like it would be possible, but I can't quite figure it out.BW
October 2nd, 2008 5:59pm

Hello g8tr_h8tr,Well there's a number of ways this can be accomplished based on your network topology. I am assuming there are routes to both of these network connections available to the user, otherwise this is not likely possible without DFS replication or something of that sort (there are anumber ofways this can be done, but each is best suited for its own network topology).1) I am assuming the two NICs are on different subnets based on the description here. That being the case they can't be teamed and will be on two different subnets. If you change which adapter is registered in DNS users should be redirected to the interface of choice, in this case the DR network.2) If the issue is not necessarily the interface and instead the route I would modify your routing tables to prioritize the DR network over the WAN (change the cost). This will cause all traffic to prefer the 10Mb pipe which I would assume would also cause other realized benefits (replication, inter-site service access, etc.)3) If this network is not available to users but is available to file servers you can use DFS replication. In this case you would modify the NIC configuration on the file servers to prioritize the faster link (network connections > advanced . advanced settings...)Hope this helps!A+, Network+, MCSE (2000 \ 2003), MCTS, CISSP LinkedIn
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 3rd, 2008 2:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics