Networking between a windows server and Win 7 Ultimate
Okay. Here is my set up. I Have taken a old PC and installed Windows 2003 server on it. That is connected via Ethernet to a network hub. This hub is getting its internet (Up-link) from a Win 7 PC. This PC is getting its access to the regular network via a wireless adapter. What i am wanting to know is how do i set up the Win 7 to connect to the server where i can access the shares i have created and remote desktop and still let the server connect to the internet and be visible by other computers on the network? Is there another way to do this that i am missing? I followed this tutorial: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing Thanks!
January 6th, 2012 6:47pm

Hi Jcsjourney, Thanks for posting here. why not just directly connects this Windows Server 2003 host into the regular network in order to get the internet accessing and could be visible form other hosts where also in regular network ? Using Windows client OS is not a best way to achieve goal but will suggest to use a multi-homed Windows Server host and set it as a router by installing and configuring routing and remote access component with enabling WINS service: Regular network/Internet ----Wirelessly---- Windows Server ---- HUB ----Windows Server 2003 Overview of RRAS http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd469714.aspx What Is WINS? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784180(WS.10).aspx Or perhaps we may consider to use other third party software on Windows 7 client host. Thanks. Tiger Li Tiger Li TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 9th, 2012 4:49am

I would like to keep the two computers connected via LAN instead of having to access it over WiFi because i have a large collection of files on there that are at least 2 GB in size or more. It is much quicker to transfer those files back and forth via LAN compared to over the network. Is there a way to fix it without having to plug it into the router?
January 9th, 2012 6:32pm

I tried to follow the steps but i must have done something wrong. I still can't get them to connect. But while i was at it. I decided to try something. I took the LAN connection and set the IP as 192.168.11.2 with the default gateway going to the wireless adapter. This allowed me to see and connect to the server but the server still can't access the internet. Even with the registry key set to routing. What am i doing wrong?
January 11th, 2012 6:40pm

just simply use a LAN cable to connect both the server and win7 machine to the wireless router or whatever you are having and than assign static ip to both of them u will be able to get a higher speed of transfer and dont forget to release and renew in cmd that will allow the system to release the old ip address and u will get a proper internet access in both the system without any problem
January 12th, 2012 1:58am

As an added note the router is set as a DHCP server so i obtain my IP adress for the win 7 computer from the router. Here is the ipconfig /all: And the route print:
January 15th, 2012 2:33pm

I would but the reason i have wireless on this computer is because the router is located in the other room and i do not want to pay Comcast to come out and run a line where my computer is.
January 15th, 2012 2:34pm

Hi, I have not read the whole post here, but looking at the ipconfig I was able to see 2 default gateways. Its a not a very good practice to do that. Lets remove the default gateway from Wired NIC as you are getting your internet from Wireless. Thanks
January 17th, 2012 5:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics