Networking Server 2003 R2 & Windows 7
My problem is that my Business Server(Server2003 R2) does not recognise my workstation with Windows 7 Pro. and a laptop with Windows XP(SP3). Neither will show on My Network icon or any where else I can think of. Is there anyone who could spend a little time & help me.....please.GJYoung
February 9th, 2011 2:49am

Hi Are all these machines on the same domain/workgroup? and the win 7 machine does it have network discovery turned on.. the XP machine not so sure what could be the problem.. but please respond to my initial questiontech-nique
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 10th, 2011 12:24am

can you ping the machines? is filesharing turned on and enabled in the firewall?
February 10th, 2011 2:42am

Thank you for reply.I have able to get all machines to register on each machines that there are clients on the network. Yes,I can now ping all machines successfully.GJYoung
February 11th, 2011 12:26am

I have inserted an extra NIC to get a private Domain,but the server is on the router address and the NIC has anew IP address.Now I am unable to get the new NIC to connect to the server to give me a private domain via my the serverGJYoung
February 11th, 2011 12:29am

This is older thread, but assuming you are still looking for a solution to this problem, I'm going to move this thread to a forum that might have an answer for you. -KevinKevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
March 9th, 2011 6:20am

You should never install an extra NIC in a domain controller. Running a domain controller behind a router is not simple. You will have all sorts of problems if you allow the clients to get their network config from DHCP on the router. If you want to use DHCP you should disable it on your router and install DHCP on your server (or simply configure the guests manually). With Active Directory your client machines should use the DC for DNS, not the router. The router will use an external DNS server and this will not be able to resolve AD resources. Basically the DC should have a static IP and use the router for its gateway but itself for DNS. The clients should also use the router for gateway address but the DC for DNS. You should set up forwarding in DNS on the DC to allow it to resolve foreign URLs for the clients (and for itself). Internet | router 192.168.0.1 | DC 192.168.0.11 dg 192.168.0.1 | AD clients 192.168.0.x dg 192.168.0.1 dns 192.168.0.11Bill
March 10th, 2011 2:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics