Network time change
We have noticed that the internet time server we are synced with has our whole network off by 5-7 minutes and is causing some issue with people being late for meetings. We want to change the time server but i have a feeling this is going to break everything until all the servers have synced up again. here is an idea of our setup ESX 3.5 - does the time sync DC's (2k3) (2 of them) are virtual and pull the time from the ESX servers All other VMS also pull from the esx servers all physical servers pull from the DC's How long of an outage should i expect? Should i expect all services to go down? What we are running: Forefront (exchange, sharepoint, client) Exchange 07 Sharepoint (MOSS) net backup enterprise vault SCOM SQL2005 SP2 Server 2003/2008 mix Xenapp5 on 2k8 Office 07 Windows XP OCS 07 R2 BES 4.1.6 Oracle 10 ThanksSystems Administrator
August 30th, 2009 9:21pm

Hello,for the change make sure sure that all machines areonly under 5 minutesout of sync, this is the default Kerberos "Maximum tolerance for computer clock synchronization" time.Isuggest to configure the DC with the PDCEmulator role to an external time server and NOT the ESX server. With "netdom query fsmo" you find it and then configure to an external time source with:w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:PEERS /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update With "PEERS" you can set the time source, either DNS name (time.windows.com) or an ip address from a reliable time source. Here you can find some of them:http://www.pool.ntp.org/ Client configuration:To configure the domain members for automatic domain time synchronization w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update After that run:net stop w32timenet start w32timeBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2009 12:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics