Network shares not working correctly on one PC

We have a network with three domain controllers and about 250 PCs. Two of the domain controllers are running server 2003 R2 and one is running server 2008 R2. The clients are running a mixture of Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro,

One Windows 7 PC, which was running perfectly well up to yesterday evening, now cannot access its redirected desktop on server2.

Logged on to the PC as network administrator, I get the following:

If I try to go to "\\server2\desktop" I get "You do not have permission to access \\server2\desktop"

If I try to go to "\\192.168.1.64\desktop" (where 192.168.1.64 is the ip address of server2) the folder opens without a problem.

If I try to go to "\\server2\users" (where users is another shared folder, with the same permissions as desktop) the folder opens without a problem.

If I ping server2, the name is resolved correctly to 192.168.1.64.

I get exactly the same results when logged on as a user. Any suggestions?

July 8th, 2013 8:58am

Do you use WINS ? The ping does the name lookup via the DNS, but lanmanager does use WINS before DNS usually.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2013 9:52pm

Thanks for your reply, but no we do not use WINS.

To add to the confusion, I created a new share for the desktop folder, called desktop2 with exactly the same permissions as the desktop share.  I can access "\\server2\desktop2" with no problem, but still get access denied on "\\server2\desktop". (Again this is only from 1 PC, all the other PCs on the network operate correctly).

July 9th, 2013 3:31am

any changes on the user access rights or permissions?

Please double check the NTFS permissions.

or go to command prompt of the PC having issue, and type ipconfig /flushdns

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 9th, 2013 4:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics