Network share not available from Windows 2008 Server machines
I'm sure this is an easy one...but I'm stuck. There is an open network share on our network any XP machine can access it no problem. Its open to everyone, no security set. Any Server 2008 machine cannot. Also Windows 7. When I try to do a \\FQDN from server 2008 I get the following message: \\FQDN is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The remote procedure call failed and did not execute. This is the same message I get from a Windows 7 machine. Things I have checked. Both Server 2008 and Win7 machines can ping the FQDN and the short name no problems. No firewalls of any kind running anywhere. Machines are part of the same domain. RPC service is running. I'm guessing its something with the new security/UAC policies on Server 2008/Win7 but I'm not sure. If I try to access that share from an XP machine (logged in with the same domain user account as I use on Server 2008/Win7 machines) it works no problem. Anyone have a quick fix?
November 2nd, 2011 11:18am

Hi, I don't think it's something to do with the UAC. if you don't have the firewall and your able to ping to the FQDN, you should be able to access it. can you set a specific user as full control and then try to access it from the Win 7 client and check whether it's prompting for authentication. Thamara.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2011 12:08pm

Its not prompting for authentication on any machine 2008/win7 or XP. I dont have access to the share, its a share on an appliance (Dell Kace Appliance). But anyone on our network can access it.
November 2nd, 2011 1:49pm

Hi, To resolve this issue, set the value of the restrictanonymous registry entry to 0. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. 2.Locate and then double-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa 3.On the right side, double-click restrictanonymous. 4. Make sure that the value in the Value data box is set to 0, and then click OK. 5. Close Registry Editor. 6.Restart the computer. If it does not work, please also modify the LAN Manager authentication level by perform the following steps: 1. Launch regedit from Start Search box. 2. Find the following registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa 3. Create a DWORD key under Lsa and set: Name: LmCompatibilityLevel Value: 1 4. Restart. For more troubleshooting information, please also refer to the following Microsoft TechNet blog: Resolving Network Issues-You Might Not Have Permission To Use This Network Resource http://blogs.technet.com/b/danstolts/archive/2011/06/21/resolving-network-issues-you-might-not-have-permission-to-use-this-network-resource.aspx Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 5th, 2011 10:05am

Hi, To resolve this issue, set the value of the restrictanonymous registry entry to 0. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. 2.Locate and then double-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa 3.On the right side, double-click restrictanonymous. 4. Make sure that the value in the Value data box is set to 0, and then click OK. 5. Close Registry Editor. 6.Restart the computer. If it does not work, please also modify the LAN Manager authentication level by perform the following steps: 1. Launch regedit from Start Search box. 2. Find the following registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa 3. Create a DWORD key under Lsa and set: Name: LmCompatibilityLevel Value: 1 4. Restart. For more troubleshooting information, please also refer to the following Microsoft TechNet blog: Resolving Network Issues-You Might Not Have Permission To Use This Network Resource http://blogs.technet.com/b/danstolts/archive/2011/06/21/resolving-network-issues-you-might-not-have-permission-to-use-this-network-resource.aspx Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 5th, 2011 6:04pm

check the share permission as well as the ntfs permission. When you sharing a files in a network most restricted permission will be applying to your objects. Darshana Jayathilake
November 5th, 2011 8:02pm

Thank you Arthur. This worked for me. In particular it was the LMCompatibilityLevel setting. I believe this is related to the security template we applied to our machines. Cheers
November 7th, 2011 10:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics