Network issue copying files from Windows Server 2008
We have a W2k8 server that hosts the patching application Shavlik.Issues occurred where certain files wouldn't copy to the hosts. We tried manually copying some of these files, but the copy still failed at times. The machines being copied (XP sp3) to are not part of the same domain, but I can still map to these and copy from a W2k3 server on the same domain as the W2k8. I can copy the W2k8 files to the W2k3 server and then copy to the XP machines fine too.So, something on W2k8 is not happy.I have zapped the server, created a new W2k3 server on the remote domain and can copy files no problem to the other domain. I then zapped that and re-created the W2k8 server....same problem. However, if I import that server into our domain, then it is fine.....as soon as I put it back onto the remote domain, copying fails again.I should clarify that sometimes certain files are copied or a set of initial files from a folder and subfolder copies ok, but all eventually hang.Any one got any clues regarding this?CheersIan
September 18th, 2009 1:35pm

Hello,check out this article about known problems with 2008 from Ace Fekay MCT:http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/20/tcp-chimney-and-rss-features-may-cause-slow-file-transfers-or-cause-connectivity-problems.aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 21st, 2009 11:50am

Rebuilt my Windows Server 2008, but alas made no difference at all.....if anything it created an additional one, in that it killed my Remote Desktop connection. For now, I will just use a W2k3 server as I know it works fine with this.Thanks for your input.RegardsIan
September 21st, 2009 3:31pm

Hi Ian,rebuilding server is the not the solution many a times, the reason is the same dll's , drivers gets installed even though you rebuild, unless you do not tweak any of the registry or your custom application doesnt tweak any of the registry which might result in system crash , there is no need to rebuild the entire server. Issues occurred where certain files wouldn't copy to the hosts. We tried manually copying some of these files, but the copy still failed at times.when you mentioned the above statement , how are you trying to copy ? are you using shavlik application to copy ? what are the files you are trying to copy ?, what is the error message you get when you copy the files ?,sainath !analyze
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2009 4:43am

Hi SainathThe reason for the many server rebuilds was primarily for testing....I rebuilt first to test no problems, then tried testing with 2003. That did work. Subsequent rebuilds were because there were other suggestions....each time failure occurred so I reverted back to 2003 to progress with the Shavlik rollout.I have tried all ways to copy, the Shavlik issues prompted us to check whether manually copying files would work. They failed hence the problem with Shavlik.I used Explorer to copy some files. Itried copying a folder and sub-folders or even just a selection of files. It does so much and then hangs, eventually timing out with Network Error dialog, asking me to ensure I am connected to the network.I then tried robocopy....snippet of log is shown below:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows -------------------------------------------------------------------------------Started : Fri Sep 18 13:31:37 2009Source : c:\nic Dest : p:\testFiles : *.*Options : *.* /TEE /S /COPY:DAT /R:1000000 /W:30 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------5 c:\nic New File 39067 readme.txt0% 83% 100% New File 37 W2K3-W2K-XP_IA32_Install.bat0% 58% 59% 60% 60% 2009/09/18 13:34:49 ERROR 64 (0x00000040) Copying File c:\nic\apps\PROSETDX\Vista64\dmix.cabThe specified network name is no longer available.Waiting 30 seconds... Retrying...New File 4.7 m dmix.cab0% 0% 1% 1% 65% 66% 2009/09/18 13:36:26 ERROR 64 (0x00000040) Copying File c:\nic\apps\PROSETDX\Vista64\dmix.cabThe specified network name is no longer available.Waiting 30 seconds... Retrying...CheersIan
September 22nd, 2009 11:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics