Network is perfect. Network icon on the start menu marked with an 'X'. Help?
Hello. Yesterday, I disabled IPV6 because I wasn't using it. The network stopped working. I re-enabled IPV6, everything was fine again, except for the network status icon on the status bar, marked with an X, as if there wasn't any connections available/it was unable to connect. I restarted, tried to enable and disable IPV6 and 4 both in the normal and safe mode. If I put my mouse over the icon, it says it is connected to my domain. If you click it, the same happens, with the "workplace" image. The only problem is with the picture. How can I disable it? Can't reinstall Windows/Use backup. A registry trick would be awesome. I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. P.S.: Could somebody also explain me why can't I disable ipv6 for all adapters? I'm not and I've never used IPV6 within my network. Marcelo Paulon
January 20th, 2011 10:58am

Hi, I would like to confirm that do you have any incoming connection? If so, please try to delete it to check the result. If this is not the case, I also would like to suggest you perform the following troubleshooting suggestions: Update the network card driver Reset Winsock by running the command: Netsh winsock reset Reset TCP/IP by running the command: Nets hint ip reset After that, please restart the computer to check the result. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 21st, 2011 2:05am

@arthur Nothing worked. Marcelo Paulon
January 21st, 2011 1:53pm

Hi, Please try to perform the following steps to remove the red x on the network icon. Method 1: 1. Right Click on Computer -> Manage 2. Under the System Tools section, double click on Local Users and Groups 3. Click Groups -> Right Click on Administrators -> Add to group -> Add -> Advanced -> Find now -> Double Click on Local Service -> Click Ok 4. Close all the windows, reboot the computer and check the status Method 2: 1. Click Start -> Type CMD -> Right click on CMD -> Run as administrator 2. Type net localgroup Administrators /add Local Service and press Enter 3. Click OK when it says The Command Completed Successfully 4. Reboot the computer and check the status If the issue persists, please uninstall and reinstall the network card driver. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 25th, 2011 10:23pm

Persists even after reinstalling the both network card's driver.Marcelo Paulon
January 26th, 2011 3:08pm

Hi, Please verify the Network Location Awareness is working normally. If it still cannot work, please also enable the following local policy and select the option to consider the Unidentified networks as private and if user can change the location. Computer Configuration\Window settings\Security Settings\Network list manager policies\Unidentified Networks Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 28th, 2011 3:53am

Nothing Worked. I reinstalled Windows, downtime was of about 30 minutes, and now everything is back!Marcelo Paulon
January 28th, 2011 9:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics