Network exploration problems on Windows 2008 R2
Hello, we have some trouble with two server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, belonging to two different workgroup (no domains involved). We shared a folder on the first server, and we mapped it on the second one. Sometimes, when I explore the network drive from the second server, it dont show me the changes applied to its files/directory (new files/folders, or file/folder modification time), made by other users. It seems that the second server, sometimes, does not automatically refresh the directory list when I explore the network drive. Nothing change even if I press F5 key: after some minutes, without doing anything, the windows explorer list is refreshed. Ive also noticed another anomaly: on every computer of my LAN (belonging to the second server workgroup), I cannot see the workgroup of the first server (the one who shares the network drive), I should digit \\server-name to see the server, dont know if it could be a symptom of my problem. Have you an idea of why all of this happens? Thank you. Luca N.
May 28th, 2012 3:37am

It seems the network connection is unstable. I suggest you update the network card driver to the latest one and see the result. How did you map the drive? Use a GPO to set the logon script to map the drive? Also enable this policy: User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy Script processing policy Enable "Allow processing across a slow network connection" Regards, MiyaMiya Yao TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2012 4:16am

Hello, thank you for your response. My drive is mapped with "net use" command. Sorry, but are you sure that the policy you indicated is not valid only in an Active Directory environment? Because here there is no domain, only workgroups. So, in case of unstable network connection, do you think is "normal" that if I press "F5" key the windows explorer list is not refreshed? Because I may understand a casual problem with windows explorer refresh, but this is a little worst (no resfresh even if I explore the folders, or I hit the "F5" key). Thank you! Luca N.
May 28th, 2012 11:41am

May want to read here about the computer browser service. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726965.aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2012 11:56am

May want to read here about the computer browser service. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726965.aspx Hi Thank you for the link, very interesting, but I may suppose that it would be helpful for the "Workgroup visibility" anomaly (described in my first post), not for the "files/folders exploration" problem. Am I wrong? Do you think the Computer Browser service is involved in my problem? Thank you. Luca N.
May 30th, 2012 4:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics