Network drives appearing as disconnected

I have a bunch of users that log onto a 2012 R2 RDS server,

They get the drives mapped by GPO

A user logs onto the server for the first time (this happens for everyone but first time user is a good example of the issue and proves a few points )

All of their network drives are listed, but show as disconnected

If I click on the network drive I can browse it and it behaves as normal, the state still shows as disconnected

In the event log I am seeing error 4098 in the event log

The user 'G:' preference item in the 'Drive Map -  Groups and Personal {D232C94D-D5C9-403D-ADDD-22D88E582B0F}' Group Policy Object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070055 The local device name is already in use.' This error was suppressed.

If I right click on the drive and say disconnect, I get the error This network connection does not exist yet if I click on it I can browse.

If I issue the net use command is shows me nothing is connected / lists nothing

The bit that really gets be, is this is the first time this user has ever logged onto this server, so 

A -  there is no way the drive could have already existed

B - The drive IS mapping because it appears and I can browse it

Things I have checked:

-       - Tried with UAC both on and off I;ve read this can cause this no change

-       - Made sure there is nothing else trying to map the drives there isnt

-        -Tried mapping the drives with a Kixstart login script instead of the GPO end result is the same drives appear but disconnected

-       - Tried users logging into another server works fine

What is going on with this server that could be causing this?

Thanks in advance

July 30th, 2015 7:32am

Hi,

>>What is going on with this server that could be causing this?

Based on the description, if we try to access the mapped network share via its UNC path, can we access it?

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2015 9:22am

Yes we can, everything actually works fine and we can access all the drives

the main issue is the drives are saying they are disconnected, net use shows nothing there, and we are not able to remove them, they allways appear as the disconnected drive

August 3rd, 2015 7:33am

What is going on with this server that could be causing this?

I've found this:

"This behavior occurs because the systems can drop idle connections after a specified time-out period (by default, 15 minutes) to prevent wasting server resources on unused sessions. The connection can be re-established very quickly, if required."

Maybe this KB will help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/297684. Although the article don't mention later versions then Windows 2008, I have tested the net config server commands on Windows 2012 R2 and Windows 10 and they still work.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2015 8:27am

Hi Thanks for your reply
this is not the solution for my problem, I have already tried implementing these registry settings and it has made not change

One thing to note, with the solution you have provided above is in that case the drives show as disconnected, but i think they still appear when issuing a net use command as i have seen similar behaviour to that in the past 

this is not the case in our situation, nothing shows up in a net use case either

thanks for trying though, if anyone else has any suggestions please post them

Cheers 
August 10th, 2015 9:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics