Network communication loss and computer freezes
Hi all, i have been trying to solve this problem for some time now but this no avail, I have a smallbasic network and under most circumstances have no problem. With this inherited network i have two computer that are acting very strangely. (I will focus on the one for now) This particular user had a very oldfujitsu computer P3 and had the same problem with that computer as he has now with a brandnew one.The setup: One server running Server 2003, with Exchange, DNS, DHCP, in a wired Network.The New computer has XP SP3 installed, Softwares consist of Sage Line 50, Sage Payroll, Iris + Pervasive, Outlook, Word+Excel. (obtains IP address Automatically)The Problem:The computer logs in with no problems and does not take ages to login. After a while say 1 hour (no set time in particular) the computer looses connection to the domain controller and freezes, only way to unfreeze the computer is to perform a hard reboot. I also noticed that unplugging the network cable unfreezes the computer. In the event viewer the following errors occur but sometimes not errors are logged.Errors:Event ID: 1054: Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted). Group Policy processing aborted.Event ID: 5783: The session setup to the Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller \\*********.local for the domain ******** is not responsive. The current RPC call from Netlogon on \\the-computer to \\************.local has been canceled.Warnings:Event ID: 7003: ID: 6, Application Name: Microsoft Office Outlook, Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014, Microsoft Outlook Version 12.0.4518.1014. This session was terminated unexpectedly.Event ID: 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.There is other errors / warnings but these are the ones i believe are relevant. The users of the two computers say that they believe its when they are both logged on at the same time that this happens and has it happens more when one user is using Iris, this may or may not have relevance to the problem. Diagnostics carried out:Disabled all power option to ensure computer is not disabling network card.Run dcdiag /test:registerindns on server to ensure DNS is configured correctly, No Errors.Computer has no problem pinging server and have run netdiagnostics, No Errors.Server Has no errors in event logs either, not DNS errors logged.I am trully confused, i dont know where to go from here, im thinking maybe it has something to do with Media Sensing!!Has anyone come across this problem before??? Can anyone help with finding the problem???
February 23rd, 2009 1:28pm

hi there,windows as a operating system doesnt behave the way it is behaving in your setup , OS is made of many subsystems which work together along with many user mode service , kernel mode drivers and the 3rd party softwares installed. Please note each and every exe which you have install has a process running with appropriate PID , virtual memory , handles set. so this behavior only can occur if some of the installed software /driver is malfunctioning.I would recommend you to switch your client in safe mode with networking and test the behavior. this test is vital because OS started in safe mode doesnt start any 3rd party service and the processes which are related to your 3rd party will remain closed .Please let us know if you are facing similar problem in safe mode and safe mode with networking ( whcih involves network driver ) sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 24th, 2009 6:06pm

Thanks for your advice and i will get back to you and let you know how it goes. I have a feeling that based on your comments that it could be an issue with Iris Accounting Software. This software runs on pervasive SQL and this could be what is freezing up and causing the problem. Pervasive i believe is a database that allows access for users to files and if this has a fault then this could be why if one user logs it affects the other user.nevertheless i will report back, thanks for your time.
February 24th, 2009 7:29pm

+ You can use command "netstat -ano" to check status of socket on machine+ While facing issue check which PID has maximum number of socket open + Check if those sockets are valid or not+ Open task manager and check which EXE is assoicated with that PID+ Once you reboot machine, you start from scratch and reason it works fine till you exaust all TCP resources from machine.+ By default on windows machine, you can usebetween 1025-5000 TCP ports for outgoing connection.+ It's fair chance that third party application opens up socket and never allow it to close and after some time you start running out of resources on machine.Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2009 6:47am

Thanks for your post of which i have noted and will use if the problem arises again. I have changed the switch and so far no loss in connection. Hopefully this is the problem.
March 6th, 2009 3:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics