Network Share (user Home Folder) no longer connects (Win7 64bit client, 2008 R2 file server)

User was able to naigate to their home folder (network location mapped to H:\ drive via active directory user object setting - profile tab), but now when they attempt to click on their H: drive they receive the following error:

Location is not available

H:\ refers to a location that is unavailable.  It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, an then try again.  If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

I know that I can fix this issue by using the following reg fix:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\CSC\Parameters and create a new REG_DWORD FormatDatabase (value 1)

The primary function of this is to clear the CSC cache on the Win7 desktop, but I really don't want to clear the cache as it means that I have to robocopy the entire contents out of the CSC first, which can be quite large.

I have tried running GPUPDATE /FORCE, but this makes no difference.  I have also tried running a chkdsk /r /x which was suggested on another forum, but this doesn't work either:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

February 19th, 2015 12:25pm

Hi,

The registry key is to help clear local CSC cache (sometimes for solving cache not updating issue).

However in your case it seems like a network issue - when the mapped drive cannot be accessed, as it is actually a shared folder on a file server (or DC sometimes), can you access ith via \\server\homefolder directly?

If not, check the folder locally on that file server for share settings.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 19th, 2015 10:02pm

Hi Shanon,

Thanks for your suggestion, but this isn't the solution unfortunately.  Sorry, I should have mentioned I tried this already (one of my initial troubleshooting steps) - I also tried going via the IP to rule out DNS issues.

There also isn't anything in the event logs to indicate what is happening.  Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

M

February 20th, 2015 4:38am

Hi,

I'm a little confuse about the reply - so whether the network path could or could not be accessed when the issue occurs?

I assume it could be accessed with both \\servername and \\IPaddress. So it is not a connection issue. 

In this situation please try to config the slow-link detective, set it to a large value or disable it to see the result. By default Windows 7 will use a default latency of 80 ms if it is not configged. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/02/11/configure-slow-link-mode-policy-on-vista-for-offline-files.aspx

Note: You may need to reboot to get it applied.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2015 9:42pm

Any other ideas Shannon? 

February 24th, 2015 5:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics