Network Routing Issue
I have two LANS (A - 202; B - 200). I am able to ping all devices on 202 network from my 200 network. I can tracert from my 200 network to all devices on my 202 network. I am only able to ping servers on my 200 network from my 202 network. I am only able to tracert servers on my 200 network from my 202 network. My workstations on my 200 network has a 200 DNS as the default and a 202 DNS as the alternate DNS servers. The default gateway for the 200 network is set to the 200.x router and for the 202 network is set for the 202.x router. I have looked at the routing tables and don't see any issues there. Any ideas as to why I am able to ping/tracert devices from the 200 to 202 network but can't from the 202 network to the 200 network? The problem is only happening on workstations.
January 24th, 2011 10:22pm

You mentioned DNS. DNS is for name resolution and not for troubleshooting network connectivity. The first step is to determine if you have a connectivity problem. Start by using the PING command and ping the computers from each network by IP not by name. If you are able to ping the sytems by IP then your network connectivity is fine. The next step would be is to verify if you are indeed having a name resolution issue. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 24th, 2011 10:34pm

I did a 2nd round of testing and the problem seems to have resolved itself. keeping an eye on it....
January 24th, 2011 11:05pm

Hi it shouldn't be a network problem, since you can ping from 200 to 202 network the routing should be ok, if you use the server names try to use the ip to ping like jim proposed, then from both neteworks you can try with nslookup to diagnose dns, and at last, ceck if maybe on the 200 network you have some firewall in the middle or directly on the servers, and try disabling it. let us know. Icecore
January 24th, 2011 11:08pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. Which services you attempted to access where on 200 network hosts form 202 networking ? via IP address or hostname ? There are two routers between these two networking ? Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 25th, 2011 11:55am

Hi, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 27th, 2011 1:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics