Network Problem or What
Hi, I am facing a typical problem with the network. I have a XP workstation which is the server for a licensing software and I have 10 Windows 7 machines, both xp and 7 64-bit only. Now the problem is people are suddenly losing licenses and when i try to ping the host machine i get "Request timed out". And after sometime it automatically gets the ping and again if license is available it will catch it. And sometimes i had to do the ipconfig /release and /renew to gain the ping to the server machine. Everything looks fine and I am able to ping to other machines but not to the server machine at the time of the problem. Please help me on this asap. I did the ipconfig /all and found the subnet mask and all other options for the systems are same and have no problem with them. This problem appeared only after we migrated to Windows 7.
June 27th, 2012 1:02am

Hi, You may consider change a new cable for the server. Ensure the server is up to date. Also apply the latest update for the NIC driver. In addition, check event log. You can get useful information to troubleshoot this issue. Best Regards, AidenAiden Cao TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 28th, 2012 2:24am

Hi Aiden, Thanks for the reply. I will check the event log. But as i already mentioned in the question, I was not able to ping from all machines to the server. Some give reply and some donot and they change randomly. If the cable was bad how come its giving ping to another system in the same LAN. And now we have discovered that its happening in XP machine also , In the same VLAN but different licensing server but both server and client are XP only. This is slowly spreading in our network and somehow I have to deal with this problem, so if any better ideas please tell me. And by the way I will change the server cable and will put in observation. Thanks, Teja
June 29th, 2012 12:33am

Hi, How are things going? I just want to check the status of the issue. Is the server running heavy network load on itself? Please try to temporarily disable anti-virus, firewall or any other application may block network traffic. You may also temporarily disable TCP Offloading, RSS and TCP Chimney, to see if the issue still persists. Information about the TCP Chimney Offload, Receive Side Scaling, and Network Direct Memory Access features in Windows Server 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951037 How to Troubleshoot Basic TCP/IP Problems http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;169790 Best Regards, AidenAiden Cao TechNet Community Support
July 1st, 2012 11:04pm

Hi Aiden, I have installd latest NIC drivers but no luck. I have checked the log but nothing considerable. I have changed 2 machines to other VLAN currently and have kept in observation. Hope i rule out some odds. And we use a Symantec Endpoint Protection and it is installed in all systems and is uptodate. And I dont think SEp is causing the problem because there are other machines in other VLAN they dont have this same problem even though SEP is same. Incase of any ideas please reply. Thanks, Teja
July 5th, 2012 4:57am

Hi Aiden, Problem solved may be temporarily. I have changwed the VLAN of the few machines which are giving me trouble and after i changed it they were all greatly working. Regards, Teja
July 9th, 2012 2:55am

Hi Aiden, Problem solved permanently. It was the PTP and NTP in Symantec Endpoint Protection that were causing this issue. We have disabled them and now its great. Regards, Teja
August 6th, 2012 5:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics