Network Discovery keeps turning itself back OFF ???
I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question but MS said sounds more like a networking issue so I will post it here. I am running a new Win 2008 r2 server as a Domain Controller in Hyper-V. The system is running smoothly. The problem: When I turn ON Network Discovery in "Change Advanced Sharing Settings", when I go back to check it it will be OFF. Network Discovery is turned ON inside the Firewall settings, Allow a program or feature through the Windows Firewall. What could be causing this? Why would it show ON in one place and OFF in another? Which one takes precedence? thanks - tom
May 11th, 2011 9:18am

Hi, Thanks for the post. This issue will occur if the dependency services are disabled. Please make sure the following services are enabled and running. - DNS Client - Function Discovery Resource Publication - SSDP Discovery - UPnP Device Host Hope this helps. Miles Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 11th, 2011 11:57pm

Thanks for the reply. Ok. Here are my current settings and my followup question. DNS Client - Started Function Discovery Resource Publication - Not started SSDP Discovery - Not started UPnP Device Host - Not started My question is: Inside the firewall settings, under "Allow a Program of Feature through the firewall" I have Network Discovery Enabled for Domain, Home, and Public. But it is still disabled under "Change Advanced Sharing Settings". Is Network Discovery enabled or not? Which setting takes precedence, the settings inside the firewall or the setting inside of "Change Advanced Sharing Settings?" I will now proceed to enable these services that you have brought to my attention and see if I am able to "turn ON" Network Discover under Change Advanced Sharing Settings. I will repost afterwards. thanks again.
May 12th, 2011 12:25pm

I went one by one turning on the services that you listed and after turning on each one I went into "Change Advanced Sharing Settings" and turned on Network Discovery then went back in to check to see if it turned back OFF again. It kept turning back OFF until I got to the last one and started it. After starting all services it will now stay ON in "Change Advanced Sharing Settings". I still don't understand why/how it showed ON in the firewall and OFF in "Change Advanced Sharing Settings". 1- Should I set these services to start automatically upon boot? 2- Is there a good reason these services should be left OFF? 3- Do these services need to be on on other Windows 2008 servers? thanks - awaiting your reply
May 12th, 2011 2:22pm

Hi, Thanks for the post. Please make sure that the startup type of the following three services could be set to Manual. And these service should be logged on with Local Service account. Function Discovery Resource Publication SSDP Discovery UPnP Device Host Hope this helps. MilesPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 12th, 2011 11:38pm

But if they are set to "manual", they won't start and "Network Discovery" will not be ON. I don't understand.
May 13th, 2011 8:36am

MZ- can you reply to my last post concerning these services?
May 16th, 2011 8:40am

Hi Poly, Function Discovery Resource Publication should be manual. Anyway try the following steps 1. Enable file sharing as shown in below link 2. make sure you can ping public domain name like yahoo.com 3. Also make sure client for networks and file and print sharing are enabled on TCP properties 4. disable third party Antivirus and security solution for time being and check the network discovery 5. Make sure ssdp discovery and Upnp are manual and started. Thanks uday
May 26th, 2011 9:21am

If you are SBS 2011, check your browser service as well and make sure it is not disabled. It needs to be set to automatic. You can map in SBS but you can't "network discovery" as I understand it... could be wrong, not sure.R, J
June 12th, 2011 4:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics