Network Device Monitoring - Discovered devices showing not monitored

I am attempting to discover and monitor our Cisco network devices in SCOM 2012 R2.  I was able to run a recursive discovery and found over 471 devices 2 pending.  When I check the Network Devices view in Administration nothing is listed.  2 show in pending management, which I expected.

Under Monitoring - Network Monitoring - Network Devices I see 472 devices, all showing not monitored.

Under Monitoring - Network Monitoring - Routers I see 12 devices all showing not monitored.

Under Monitoring - Network Monitoring - Switches I see 64 devices all showing not monitored.

I don't know why these devices are showing as not monitored and why no devices showed in the Network devices in the Administration view.  I don't see any issues in the network discovery events or progress events.

July 2nd, 2014 3:41pm

Plz refer Kevin's link on Network Monitoring, I suggest you to first with explicit discovery and add devices individually

check each and every step in this link

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2011/07/21/opsmgr-2012-discovering-a-network-device.aspx

hope this helps

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2014 6:15pm

I have reviewed this document.  I have done recursive and explicit discovery.  Items are found but never placed into the network devices view.

July 3rd, 2014 10:27pm

There are additional management packs that are required to relate network devices to each other and to the agent computers they are connected to. Network monitoring requires discovery of the network adapter for each agent computer, which is performed by the management pack for the agent computers operating system. Verify that the management packs from the following list are installed for each of the operating systems in your environment.

reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212935.aspx

July 4th, 2014 6:46am

I have confirmed that I have the windows server MPs in place but not the client side. 

I am not sure if that explains why I have no devices listed in network management\network devices.

My last explicit rule shows 2 last discovered 0 last pending but still nothing in network management\network devices.

July 7th, 2014 3:22pm

I did find that we had an outdated version of the Network Discovery Internal MP installed. We did an in place upgrade to R2, looks like this one didn't upgrade. 

I removed the old version and installed the one from the R2 media but still no success.

I ran through the same discovery in my production environment and it works.  

I think I need to find a way to flush out all the discovered devices from the recursive discovery I ran.  All these devices are showing as not monitored but not showing in a way I can delete them from the UI.

July 7th, 2014 10:09pm

Anybody know how to delete network devices at the command line. Looks like the commands have changed from 2007.  I can list them with this

Get-SCOMClass -DisplayName "Network Device" | Get-SCOMClassInstance

Not sure how to convert that to a remove command.

July 8th, 2014 7:05pm

I now also get these error messages when trying to view the network devices view in the admin panel.

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.LocationObjectNotFoundException: The pool managing the instance is not available or the location monitoring object cannot be found.

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.RunTask.TaskStatusDialog.<SubmitTaskWorker>b__0(Object , ConsoleJobEventArgs )

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

July 8th, 2014 11:55pm

also see this in the eventviewer

Log Name:      Operations Manager
Source:        DataAccessLayer
Date:          7/8/2014 4:46:06 PM
Event ID:      33333
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      *******.corp.*****.org
Description:
Data Access Layer rejected retry on SqlError:
 Request: p_StateChangeEventProcess -- (BaseManagedEntityId=ab4aa169-88ae-1da9-64a9-e404e9604ff4), (EventOriginId=eaa0b378-be6f-41d7-96ec-3c0155375b63), (MonitorId=f1baeb56-8cce-f8c7-79ae-d69796c9d926), (NewHealthState=3), (OldHealthState=1), (TimeGenerated=7/8/2014 11:46:06 PM), (Context=), (RETURN_VALUE=0)
 Class: 0
 Number: 3621
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="DataAccessLayer" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32768">33333</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-07-08T23:46:06.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>642491</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Operations Manager</Channel>
    <Computer>**********</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>p_StateChangeEventProcess -- (BaseManagedEntityId=ab4aa169-88ae-1da9-64a9-e404e9604ff4), (EventOriginId=eaa0b378-be6f-41d7-96ec-3c0155375b63), (MonitorId=f1baeb56-8cce-f8c7-79ae-d69796c9d926), (NewHealthState=3), (OldHealthState=1), (TimeGenerated=7/8/2014 11:46:06 PM), (Context=), (RETURN_VALUE=0)</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>3621</Data>
    <Data>The statement has been terminated.</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
July 8th, 2014 11:56pm

I have found a little work around.  I created a new resource pool.  Ran some discoveries with the new pool and devices started showing up in the network devices view.  In most cases this replaced the ones I had previously found using the recursive discovery.  I have a couple that now show up twice in the monitoring view.

Still looking for a way to remove all the extra devices the recursive discovery found that are not showing up in the admin view.  I am not sure if its safe to simply delete them from the SQL table.

July 9th, 2014 2:23pm

Are you getting the list of all devices when you run the recursive discovery? if yes, then select the unwanted devices and remove
July 9th, 2014 7:21pm

I have since removed the recursive discovery that populated this data.  I could attempt to recreate it and rediscover the 470+ devices like it did before but I guess that causes a bit of havoc as some systems were reporting back to their admins about failed login attempts. 

I attempted to run the remove-scomdisabledclassinstance command but this did not remove these nodes.

July 9th, 2014 10:06pm

Still haven't found a solution for this.  Anybody know if I can delete entries right from this table?

dbo.MT_System$NetworkManagement$Node

July 23rd, 2014 11:40pm

I ran this command to mark all the network nodes to isdeleted and this fixed my issue.

UPDATE dbo.[BasemanagedEntity] SET IsDeleted = 1 where FullName Like '%System.NetworkManagement.Node%'

• Marked as answer by stemo76 15 hours 48 minutes ago
July 2nd, 2015 11:26am

I ran this command to mark all the network nodes to isdeleted and this fixed my issue.

UPDATE dbo.[BasemanagedEntity] SET IsDeleted = 1 where FullName Like '%System.NetworkManagement.Node%'

• Marked as answer by stemo76 Thursday, July 02, 2015 3:21 PM
July 2nd, 2015 3:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics