Network Connection

I am doing some volunteer work to help out my church.  The church has a server rack with SBS2011, SBS2008, and SBS2003 servers. A desktop that connects to the servers needs to be replaced.  I connected the desktop using a network cable.  When I click on windows network, not all servers on the SBS network are displayed.  Any suggestions as to how to make the network connections visible on the desktop?

A few more notes.  The administrator left the church about a year ago.  One other person and I are pitching in to help out where we can.  I have a mainframe background, the other person has a Mac background.  We have an administrators companion that we refer to.  

Any help or guidance is appreciated.  

Thanks, 

February 11th, 2015 9:09pm

Hi Lobo,

It seems that your church has three generations of Small Business Server (SBS).

SBS is rather "ungratefull" product for professionals. On one end you have the name "small" which implies something simple and inexpensive, yet on the other end you have several very demanding technologieas, some of which are rather challenging even if pursued alone. What adds to complexity is that these technologies must work together in a small confined space. I'm talking about technologies: Windows Server, Active Directory, SQL Server, Sharepoint Services, Exchange and Internet Secure Access (ISA) Server.

What adds to complexity is that your three SBS servers are probably running three separate domains that cannot be joined - this is deliberate limitation designed into the product.

In your place, I would consolidate everything into one SBS server, the newest one.

I would probably move user accounts and data to the single server.

I would also write off the other two. Sell them at auction, give it to charity, or reinstall workstation OS (Windows 7, 8.1 or something else).

And finally, I'll try to answer your question(s):

1. Make sure that all three servers are configured for the same subnet. Log in into each server, open CMD.exe and run command:

ipconfig /all

All three servers should have IP address with the same IP subnet (usually first three octets - 192.168.0 - or something similar). The fourth octet should be, of course, different for each device in the subnet (server, client computer, smart phone, printer - whatever).

2. Second recommendation (which is not best practice), but may help make your life easier is to create the same username with the same password on each SBS server that you intend to use - that is, if you decide to keep older SBS servers.

3. It would be also beneficial to install network services on the newest SBS server:

• DNS
  • DHCP
  • WINS 

Other servers should have DHCP and WINS disabled. Client computers should receive IP config from the newest SBS server. DNS services should also be joined. Each SBS server should host it's own home DNS zone, and also forward or have configured stub zones for other two DNS zones.

4. Sometimes, servers may not be visible in the network list, but may still be accessible if targeted directly. It is usually done from CMD.exe window. Run command:

net use w: \\server1\share1 /user:domain1\user1

Of course, substitute values with your actual values - w: (drive letter), server1 (your server name), share1 (share name), your domain and your user name. 

That's for the starters.

Good luck and God bless you.

Les

• Edited by Les52 2 hours 17 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 12th, 2015 4:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics