Network Card stops working after a reboot on a Windows 2008 Small Business Server
I am having an issue with our Server, it started about 6 weeks ago. We noticed all of a sudden users are unable to access the server, nor could we remote in to the server. Sitting in front of the server, I noticed I can't ping to public address nor to any computers internally but I can run a loopback test with no issues or ping the IP address of the server. I attempted rebooting and that did not help. The only time I am able to get it to work is only when I disable the NIC and re-enable it. I got DELL on the phone and we taught it was a hardware issue. After much troubleshooting the Motherboard got replaced and the issue persist. I did notice that when the server is rebooting and I have continous ping turned on... it will ping okay until it get to applying windows settings or a the CTRL ALT DEL screen and the ping stops replying. It starts replying after I disable and re-enable the NIC Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Nelson Ehis
December 8th, 2011 12:38pm

1. 6 months is pretty long time to resolve the problem. Could you guess what was the cause of problem - any update, installation, configuration... 2. For any help we need more information from the event logs 3. Disabling NIC is relatively mild test. You can reset the network stack with netsh function. Take it as a last resort. Regards Milos
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 8th, 2011 12:59pm

I said 6 weeks. But worked actively on it for 2 weeks. I think I may have tried that. I think it may be a conflict with another appsNelson Ehis
December 9th, 2011 12:12am

Hi Nelson, have you run SBS2008 BPA and fix all the issue it listed? Windows Small Business Server 2008 Best Practices Analyzer http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=6231 Sean Zhu TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 9th, 2011 2:18am

I will give it a tryNelson Ehis
December 9th, 2011 12:13pm

I have exactly the same problem but am running Windows Home Server 2011 (a derivative of SBS 2008) and the install of BPA says I can't install on my server. what do you suggest?Charles Godwin
December 17th, 2011 9:58am

that is not the resolution. I am still having the issue. I am unable to unmark the answer. The issue is not resolvedNelson Ehis
December 18th, 2011 8:02am

I am going to open a support ticket with Microsoft. I will let you know what the resolution is. thanksNelson Ehis
December 18th, 2011 8:04am

I have found a work around that works for me. I added a script, in this case a simple .cmd file, that contains two lines to disable / enable the NIC. I added the script to Computer Configuration in Local Group Policy selected from Control Panel. I added it as a system startup script. Here are the two lines in the batch file. netsh interface set interface "Local Area Connection" admin=disable netsh interface set interface "Local Area Connection" admin=enable It seems to be working for me.Charles Godwin
December 20th, 2011 3:02am

Did anyone find a resolution to this issue? I am facing the same with my Windows 2008 R2
March 13th, 2012 2:25pm

did you try my posted solution of forcefully resetting the NIC during startup? it's been working for me.Charles Godwin
March 13th, 2012 2:40pm

Hi Charles, If its not too much trouble can you step me through how you did that? Thanks
March 14th, 2012 12:40am

The issue was with the Dell DSM SA connection services, on disabling all 4 services the issue went away. But I think the culprit was the DSM SA connection service. I also spoke with DELL Engineer recently and he alluded to the fact that if you update the Motherboard Firmware, Chipset, NIC Card drivers, BIOS and any other hardware components with the latest drivers that will resolve the issue. I gave that a try a couple of days ago and it seems to work so far. I re-enabled all the DELL DSM SA services. Thanks. nelsonNelson Ehis
May 2nd, 2012 4:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics