Network Card Balancing
Hi, Is it possible to load balance 2 netowrk cards in 1 server. i.e spread the load on traffic to server. If so how is this accomplished? Would you create a single node cluster and bind it to multiple network adapters on the host. Thanks in advance Peter GuestOffice Server Addict
May 5th, 2010 5:57pm

Yes, it is possible to load balancing accross two network cards. This is referred to as "Teaming". Generally, you need cards that support this configuraiton along with the teaming software. There are various vendors that support teaming, such as INTEL. No, this is not done via any clustering software. HP is one vendor that I know of which ships their DL server line with NICs and software that support teaming. My preference though is to not "team" NICs unless there is a clear business justification for it. Teaming adds another layer of complexity into the design and another point of failure (yes it is possible that the teaming software could fail and be the issue for network connectivity failure). Of course there are additional costs such as cabling, patch panel ports, and additional switch ports that you have to account for. Just keep these things in mind...Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 5th, 2010 6:18pm

Hi, "Teaming" rings a bell now. Thanks for the great advice! Much appreciated. I guess this might not suite our requirements then :) Thanks PeterOffice Server Addict
May 6th, 2010 7:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics