Netlogon service not starting on domain controller
Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller. Thanks to poor cable management our DC was unplugged while it was on. After powering the DC back on attempting to log in locally results in the following, "netlogon service is not running on this machine." I have attempted to boot into Safe Mode w/ Networking, Safe Mode, and Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt but I still get that message. The DC is pingable by IP address over the network but it does not resolve by name and no other machine can be added to the domain since the power-failure. I have searched these forums and have been unable to find a solution. Any help greatly appreciated!
November 4th, 2010 3:20pm

I wanted to add that I used a BartPE CD to boot to server and checked the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Netlogon/ and DependOnService. This key has LanmanWorkstation. Per this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269375 I added LanmanServer to the DependOnService key. I also saw the Start key set as '3'. Still no luck.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 4th, 2010 3:24pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what related Event Errors are logged in Event Viewer when Netlogon service cannot start? General, we can perform the following troubleshooting steps first: 1. Launch Services.msc. 2. Double click on Netlogon service and switch to Dependencies tab. 3. Check the Netlogon dependence services and start them manually. 4. Start Netlogon service manually. If it does not work, please also try to import a good Netlogon service registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon] from another Window Server 2000 computer. If the issue persists, please provide us the Event Errors for our further research. Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 5th, 2010 1:39am

Check in the event log if your DC thinks that it's out of sync with the other ones (I hope you have more than one). If it is you might need to do a restore of if (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784922(WS.10).aspx). The condition you experience can occur for multiple reasons though, so you might want to read both your eventlog and the AD-log.Best regards Joachim Nsslander Senior Solution Architect Microsoft Infrastructure and End User Computing Dell AB, Sweden MVP Cluster Member of Microsoft Extended Experts Team (MEET) Blog: http://www.nullsession.com
November 5th, 2010 5:35am

Arthur_Li, I cannot log in using any Safe Mode I also cannot log in using Directory Restore Mode. When using my BartPE boot disc I cannot read the Event Logs because it says they are corrupt. :( Server is a Dell PowerEdge 2600.
November 5th, 2010 10:24am

Hello, is that the only DC in the domain? Please post an unedited ipconfig /all from it and also the other DCs if exist. Netlogon service can fail to start if FSMO roles are twice on DCs, because of restore from backup and seizing them before. Please provide some more details about the domain setup including complete error messages from the event viewer.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 6th, 2010 9:31am

Hi, I realize that you cannot start the computer to troubleshoot the Netlogon service issue now. Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you follow the troubleshooting suggestions the Microsoft KB article provides below: How To Troubleshoot Startup Problems in Windows 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315396 Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 9th, 2010 2:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics