Netlogon Error 5719 every boot - Windows 2008 R2 SP1
HP DL360 G7 with clean install of Server 2008 R2 SP1 and latest patches. Single NIC connected to 1GB Access switch port (which has also been connected via a hub for troubleshooting, to no avail.) HP software / Firmware all up to date and system board replaced by HP for good measure. Every boot, 'Netlogon error 5719 cannot contact domain' is reported in system log, and then a few seconds later, the NIC initializes. No matter what service we make 'Netlogon' dependant upon, Netlogon always seems to error beforehand. I have replicated the operating system and patch levels on a virtual machine and we do not see the issue, only on this physical piece of tin (hence HP changing the system board and integrated NICs). Other steps taken: - NIC speed / duplex fixed or Auto, makes no difference. - LMHosts lookup disabled & NetBIOS over TCP enabled / disabled - moved NIC to top in binding order Has anybody else experienced this recently or is anyone aware of an easy fix? Advice welcomed! Thank you.
July 29th, 2011 6:17pm

Hi, Please try the following troublehsooting suggestions: 1. Force Kerberos to use TCP instead of UDP. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\ Kerberos\Parameters MaxPacketSize = 1 How to force Kerberos to use TCP instead of UDP in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;244474 2. Make netlogon service to depend on network connections. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon DependOnService = Netman 3. Disable the Spanning Tree Algorithm feature of your Ethernet switch. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters ExpectedDialupDelay = 180 A client connected to an Ethernet switch may receive several logon-related error messages during startup http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;202840 4. Reboot the server and check the event log again. Regards, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2011 10:14pm

Our Exchange DSE found this link which was recently updated which helped us provide a work around until we can find and eliminate the root cause of the Netlogon issues: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2025528 Our Exchange server AD Topolgy service and subsequent services are now starting properly even though we still get the Netlogon error. Perhaps this will work for other folks as well and their services since this is a Netlogon registry modification.
September 19th, 2011 2:43pm

Why did you mark your response as an answer without confirmation from the user? This seems to be a recent trend with Microsoft staff monitoring the boards and it leads us to false conclusions that the suggestions did indeed resolve the issue. I too am exeperiencing this exact same issue on my HP DL380 G6 and DL360 G6 servers, and it impacting Exchange service startup. Specficially the Netlogon errors out as listed in the first post, and Exchange services which are set to Automatic don't start. I skipped your suggestion #1 as the servers are on the same network switch, not passing through a firewall, as the DCs so it shouldn't matter. I tried suggestion 2 and 3 with no relief. The issue seems to be directly tied to the fact that the Netlogon service is trying to start before the NICs have even initialtized. For example the last reboot of of the Exchange 2010 server shows the Netlogon service tring to start and failing at 6:16:21PM with the first NIC initalizaing (event source "L2nd") at 6:16:22PM. I can completely understand why the Netlogon service can't find any DCs if it is firing off before the NICs are all connected. Neither registry setting seems to change this behavior. Is there somethign else we can try?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 19th, 2011 6:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics