NetBT failing to load in windows server 2008 R2
Hello, I've having issues on a windows server 2008 r2 machine. TCP/IP netbios helper service won't start because NetBT cannot be loaded: "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: " "NetBT" and: "The NetBT service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." NetBT won't appear in hidden devices. I have netbios enabled, and, I think, correctly configured. Can someone give me an hint on what could be doing this? This started happening after installing some new drivers, installing SP1 and enabling the DHCP role (which would be disabled afterwards).
May 2nd, 2011 7:28am

Hi, Thanks for the post. This issue could occur if there is any corrupt system file or incorrent registry value. Please try to type the command sc start netbt and check the result. If any error message shows up, please let us know. Meanwhile, we need to export the registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT and send it to me. Use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive ) to upload the file and then give me the download address. Thanks, MilesPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2011 4:27am

So, I ran the command, but it didn't started the service: [SC] StartService FAILED 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has n o enabled devices associated with it. I posted the reg file at http://cid-bfe46a2e90119494.office.live.com/self.aspx/NetBT/netbt.reg. Tell me if you have any problems opening it. I'm new at skydrive. Also, I have done a ton of stuff to try to solve this issue. I've compared the registry with another server with SP1, compared the file netbt.sys (which, on this server, had a last modified hour different from the server I compared with, but same date), tried to reset the interfaces (netsh int ip reset) and winsock (netsh winsock reset). Nothing worked out. We're thinking about formatting the server, but that would be a last option. Thanks!
May 3rd, 2011 11:17am

Hi, Thanks for the post. Yes, as you mentioned, the Netbt registry values are correct. In general, this behavior can occur if the service is disabled or if the service is disabled for the hardware profile that you are currently using. You may which Hardware Profile is used. To determine which numbered subkey under Hardware Profiles represents the current hardware profile, see CurrentConfig in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\IDConfigDB. The value of the CurrentConfig entry corresponds to the number of the subkey that contains the current hardware profile. Meanwhile, please also run SFC /SCANNOW to verify if there is any corrupt system file. Thanks, Miles Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 5th, 2011 4:27am

Here's a command script that worked for me when I got the same error (just replace scheduler with NetBT): sc sdset schedule "D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)" sc config schedule start= auto sc start schedule pause sc queryex schedule pause exit Note: the first line wrapped so the end appears on line two, just before "sc config schedule start= auto. Also: the syntax of the "start= auto" must have a blank after the equal sign. Mel Briggs (MCITP Server Administrator Windows Server 2008)
June 22nd, 2011 12:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics