NetBIOS vs WSD
I have two computers (both Acer laptops, called A & B, both running Vista Home Premium, service Pack 2) hooked up to a (wireless) network. The problem is that I can access resources (access public files, printer) on computer B from computer A, but not the other way around. On computer A I can see both A & B in the Network Explorer screen and Discovery Method is listed as WSD for both. However, on computer B, Discovery Method is listed as NetBIOS for computer A. (Sometimes I actually cannot see neiter A nor B, but they are visible via "View full map" in the Network Center.) If I type \\A on computer B, I get back the message that Windows cannot access \\A. If I "diagnose" the problem, it correctly comes back with the IP address, but nothing more helpful. I've set the Network Center settings the same, also the Windows Firewall (on, Private network), both run MacAfee SecurityCenter. I've tried to connect directly to the router (so not wireless), but no change. Anyone out there with an idea ??
October 31st, 2009 3:44am

Hi Smbjerke,As the issue is more related to Vista operation system, I would like to suggest that you initial a new thread in the Vista Networking forum for better and accurate answer to the question. The community members and support professionals there can help you in a more efficient way.Windows Vista Networkinghttp://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistanetworking/threadsBest Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2009 9:35am

smbjerke: I'm sure you have solved your problem by now but this may help others who found your question the same way I did. I had EXACTLY the same problem. It turned out that I just needed to change a couple of settings in MacAfee (and in the Windows "Network and Sharing Center - which, I think, you had already done). 1. MacAfee Security Center (Home) ->Firewall->Settings->My Network Connections->Add IP Address Version IPV4 Range From (whatever - same as for the other entries in the list) To (whatever - same as for the other entries in the list) Connection Type Work (This is important) Days Before Expiration (leave blank) 2. MacAfee Security Center (Home) ->PC and Home Network Tools->My Home Network Set up trust at one of the computers for the other one In addition, on both computers: 3. Start->Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center In the Sharing and Discovery section, Turn ON Netrwork Discovery File Sharing Password Protected Sharing Hope this helps someone since it is still an issue 2 years later... L.
November 10th, 2011 6:16pm

smbjerke: I'm sure you have solved your problem by now but this may help others who found your question the same way I did. I had EXACTLY the same problem. It turned out that I just needed to change a couple of settings in MacAfee (and in the Windows "Network and Sharing Center - which, I think, you had already done). and System Services 1. MacAfee Security Center (Home) ->Firewall->Settings->My Network Connections->Add IP Address Version IPV4 Range From (whatever - same as for the other entries in the list) To (whatever - same as for the other entries in the list) Connection Type Work (This is important) 2. MacAfee Security Center (Home) ->Firewall->Settings->Ports Tick "Windows File Sharing (NETBIOS) 3. MacAfee Security Center (Home) ->PC and Home Network Tools->My Home Network Set up trust at one of the computers for the other one In addition, on both computers: 4. Start->Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center In the Sharing and Discovery section, Turn ON Netrwork Discovery File Sharing Password Protected Sharing Hope this helps someone since it is still an issue 2 years later... L.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 11th, 2011 2:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics