Need to upgrade Windows Server 2003 SP2 to Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 for print management using Group Policy. Or do I?
We are setting up a managed printer environment for the first time since our school district's Windows servers were installed (2005). Installation of the two DCs were completed by an outside support agency. They installed Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and Service Pack 2, but did not upgrade the servers to R2 before applying SP2. A third server, not a DC, was chosen to be our print server, this server is running WS2K3 R2 SP2. We would like to manage the printers with Group Policy. I understand that I need WS2K3 R2 SP2 to do this. I have been unable to find out if it is possible to upgrade to R2 if SP2 is already installed on our WS2K3 DC. I have disks for R2, but from what I've read they are SP1 if no SP is specified. It looks as though our secondary DC still has the uninstall files for SP2, but not our primary DC. Do you have any suggestions? Is it possible to upgrade Windows Server 2003 SP2 to Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2? If so, where might I find the download to do so? Or is it necessary to do this upgrade as long as the print server is running WS2K3 R2 SP2? Thank you so much for any help you can offer.
July 8th, 2010 9:58pm

Hello, depending when you have bought the R2 set it is maybe required to uninstall SP2 before you can install it. Or you try to dinf a version that has SP2 already included. But if i remember correct the DC must not be R2 to use the Printer management, you should be able to do this from the Windows server 2003 R2 machine.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 9th, 2010 12:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics