Need to create new groups

Hi,

I need to create few groups and add servers in to it. For example..

There should be multiple groups like A, B and C. All the servers that has to be part of these groups are Windows server with different versions like 2003, 2008 and 2012.

If i try to add the servers explicitly of dynamically its very difficult as there more than 2500 servers to categorize. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Srini

January 21st, 2015 1:14pm

Hi Srini!

What are the properties you are going to group them in different groups?

Cheers,
Patrick

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 21st, 2015 1:16pm

With the Server OS MP installed there are already groups containing the servers by OS. For example there is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Computer Group. Is this all you need or do you need further filters?
January 21st, 2015 2:53pm

Hi Eric,

I need further filters. I am trying to group all these windows servers in to different groups like Gold, Silver, Platinum. Since these groups should contain windows servers with various OS version like 2003, 2008 and 2012 I am trying to find a way to group it.

Thanks.

January 21st, 2015 4:08pm

Hi Patrick,

There is no property as such. I am trying these servers to group in to a category so that I can run a availability report for these groups as we have different SLA defined for Gold, Silver and Bronze category servers.

Hope I am clear.

Cheers!!

January 21st, 2015 4:10pm

Very clear!

Is that information already somewhere from where you can get it? Like in the registry on the agent machine or in a CMDB?

If so, you could create a MP with your own class(es) and discover that.

We've done something like that often and it should not be a big deal.

Cheers,
Patrick

January 21st, 2015 4:30pm

I understand your point. Unfortunately, there is nothing we could use here. All the servers are just part of the Windows family. As of now I could only see the option of creating these groups by adding those servers manually but the problem there are too many servers.

I have the list of servers which needs to be added to each group. Is there any other way?

Thanks.

January 21st, 2015 4:38pm

The Powershell script from http://blog.coretech.dk/kra/automate-your-group-creation-with-powershell/ would seem to be the thing.  It takes a list from an excel spreadsheet and adds to a group. Now my PS isn't up to the task of interpreting it all, but it seems to do exactly what you want.
January 21st, 2015 4:44pm

Good idea, Eric.

There is another one:

Creating a Group based on OU (Organizational Unit) in Active Directory
http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2008/02/05/creating-a-group-based-on-ou-organizational-unit-in-active-directory.aspx

Cheers

January 21st, 2015 4:49pm

Hi,

Please also refer to the artilces below:

Creating and Updating Groups

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jakuboleksy/archive/2006/11/15/creating-and-updating-groups.aspx

Programmatically Creating Groups

http://blogs.technet.com/b/brianwren/archive/2008/11/18/programmatically-creating-groups.aspx

Modifying Explicit Group Membership in SCOM 2012 with PowerShell

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rslaten/archive/2013/06/27/modifying-explicit-group-membership-in-scom-2012-with-powershell.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

January 22nd, 2015 9:40am

Thanks for your reply Yan Li.

This is really helpful though i need sometime to understand the script and test it. For the time being I have created these groups manually and populated the group members. But when i try to run the availability report agains these groups i could not get any data.

What do you think would be the problem here? I have created an unsealed MP through operatios console and referenced it to Health Library, System Center Core Library, System Library and Windows core Library, still it does not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

January 22nd, 2015 3:16pm

Thanks Eric.

This script was created for SCOM 2007. Since i am not a PoSh expert i find it difficult to modify it to suit SCOM 2012 requirements. Will keep trying though :)

For the time being I have created these groups manually and populated the group members. But when i try to run the availability report agains these groups i could not get any data.

What do you think would be the problem here? I have created an unsealed MP through operatios console and referenced it to Health Library, System Center Core Library, System Library and Windows core Library, still it does not work.

Regards

January 22nd, 2015 3:18pm

That's a good point Patric but most of those servers belong to same OU so this method will not work here i am afraid.

For the time being I have created these groups manually and populated the group members. But when i try to run the availability report agains these groups i could not get any data.

Cheers.

January 22nd, 2015 3:20pm

Hi,

Now the issue is that report is blank for the created group, make sure the group has members in it. And will you please check availability report for some of the group members.

You may find it under groups, and check its members.

Regards,

Yan Li

January 27th, 2015 5:49am

The issue is resolved now.

I didn't notice there was a duplicate group on the same name and I was runing the report against that group. I deleted the duplicate entry and ran the report against the correct one to pull the reports.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs :)

Cheers!!

January 29th, 2015 7:10pm

Unfortunately, the issue is not resolved yet.

This is giving me nightmares :(

Here is a strange situation...

the report was working fine until two days ago but when i try to run the availability reports for the same group now i can't see the group in the Add Group list. But its still available in the Groups section of Authoring pane and has its members intact...really confusing.

I don't Know how to proceed on this now.

Any ideas?

Regards

January 30th, 2015 6:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics