Need supported NIC suggestions...
after downloading and installing the beta 3 on one of my older computers (athlon 1.333 ghz) I found that my old 10mb card was not supported...kinda strange but figured "its beta...and network cards are cheap..." so I search on the internet and find something saying that starting with 2008 microsft is dropping supportfor anything that is less than gig and less than ndis 6.5?...i dont know how reliable this information was... I went down to my local geek store ... none of the cards they had actually state what revision of ndis they support....so Ibuy a cheap gig card (zonet zen3301E) and take it home only to find out that my old computer wont even post with this card installed....take it back to the geek store, they test it and have the same problems but the card does work in a newer computer and another one off the shelf has the same issue....*** I decide to buy a netgear card (ga311).....now I am having the problem that windows server 2008 says it installs correctly but that I need to reboot before I can use it.....when I reboot, windows no longer detects that I just installed the card....it doesnt ask to install it again but it doesnt detect it in the system either.... I tried installing it from the new hardware wizard but that didnt help either....same thing after a reboot... so, can someone give me a model number of a NIC that they KNOW works with server 2008?
July 7th, 2007 9:20pm

The information is correct. NIC cards must be a 1GB minimum and support NDIS6.X spec. I can tell you Broadcom NetXtreme cards work, Intel server class cards work, cards with some RealTEK chipsets work. Just about any server class NIC you find in new servers today will work. I think the problem people run into is that they want to try out W2K8 Server on an older personal desktop computer and they run into problems with the NICs. I have seen several posts from individuals that ran into this problem with older 3Com cards.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2007 1:38am

Where did you find the drivers for the BC NetExtreme NIC? I have a PE 2650 and none of thr drivers I have tried work.
October 29th, 2007 8:39pm

It certainly works with Virtual Server 2005 R2's NIC's, if that's any use to you. Ok for evals I think.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2007 3:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics