Need script to enable active directory tools for windows 7, RSAT is pre-installed.

I am looking for a way to script the enabling of the active directory administrative center in Windows 7 and someday Windows 10 which gives help desk and other IT staff access to users and computers so help desk staff can manage user accounts.  In the image I created and deploy RSAT is installed but the windows feature is turned off because well only IT staff needs it.  Currently I have a document which explains how to go into turn windows features on or off and then drill down to active directory administrative center and enable it then I also have in the instructions to customize the start menu to display system administrative tools however they want, I think in the document I just say to choose display on both all programs and start menu.

Does anyone know of a script or powershell command that will do all of this so we don't need the documentation, that way I can create a program in SCCM and deploy it as either required or available to Help Desk Staff computers eliminating the need for this document.

Thanks!

August 25th, 2015 11:39am

In Windows 7 we would use the utilities for this:

dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:featureA

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 12:53pm

Ok, so I created a PS script with this in it: 

dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-Powershell
dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS
dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS-SnapIns
dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS-AdministrativeCenter

Seems to work.

Is there a script or regkey so I can turn on the administrative tools on the start menu?

August 25th, 2015 1:51pm

That is a new question. 

The tools will be on the start menu under the administrators tools I believe.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&q=powershell+pin+to+start+menu

August 25th, 2015 1:55pm

Correct they will be on the start menu under administrative tools but by default that is turned off.  In order to turn it on you have to go to taskbar and start menu properties, start menu tab, click customize and all the way at the bottom is system administrative tools (display on all programs, display on all programs and start menu and dont display)

I would like a script to basicly turn it to display on all programs and start menu since it is by default set to dont display this item.  I figure it is just a registry setting and maybe I can just import it but I am not certain how to turn it on, either via registry or a script.  

August 25th, 2015 3:12pm

Use GPP and set this:

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/514/

August 25th, 2015 3:20pm

Or you could just search for the answer: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&q=display+administrative+tools+registry+key

August 25th, 2015 4:08pm

I guess I was expecting it to be a bit more complex than that.  Found a reg key that will work.

Script works but I need to figure out how to make it work in SCCM, which is a whole separate question I wont ask here.

August 28th, 2015 10:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics