Need help with granting access to computers while on a domain
My office used to be on a workgroup and we recently switched a domain for increased security and to allow users to have their own user accounts. What if I want everyone to have access to everyone's files WITHOUT having to use a username/password prompt to get into someone elses computers to access their files? Another thing that is happening is that printers which were shared through another computer are no longer accessible unless a username/password is put in, which then will go away after a day or so. What is the best way to ensure that everyone can access everyone without a hassle?
September 23rd, 2009 12:30am

Hello,Keeping important data in local machines is not advisable. Also, it increases burden to maintain, manage, bacpkup, etc.Its advisable that you keep everything centralised. For workgroup, its not possible... But why not take advantage of the domain environment.Keep all the information in a centralised server so that it will be easy for you to manage and maintain.For everyone to have access to everyone's file, you can create a share on the server where all files are kept. Then add "Domain Users" security group to the share permissions and give relevent permission to the group.But as a security measure, i would suggest that you keep the important data not accessible to everyone, only few.For printers also, you can install and share printer on server. By default everyone will have print permission on the printer.Please check and let me know in case you need further information on this.Thanks & Regards,Upma
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 23rd, 2009 10:02am

Hi JorgenBedsted,Inline to Upma's suggestion. How about you just create a domain security group and put the this group to particular shares. This will be easy for you to manage user access permission to theshared filesin the Domain.Best Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 23rd, 2009 12:27pm

Hello, Keeping important data in local machines is not advisable. Also, it increases burden to maintain, manage, bacpkup, etc. Its advisable that you keep everything centralised. For workgroup, its not possible... But why not take advantage of the domain environment. Keep all the information in a centralised server so that it will be easy for you to manage and maintain. For everyone to have access to everyone's file, you can create a share on the server where all files are kept. Then add "Domain Users" security group to the share permissions and give relevent permission to the group. But as a security measure, i would suggest that you keep the important data not accessible to everyone, only few. For printers also, you can install and share printer on server. By default everyone will have print permission on the printer. Please check and let me know in case you need further information on this. Thanks & Regards, Upma This sounds good. Ok thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 23rd, 2009 5:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics