Need URGENT help and step by step guideline for windows server 2003 Please
<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1418208183; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:1735193994 911760094 269025305 269025307 269025295 269025305 269025307 269025295 269025305 269025307;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-text:%1-; mso-level-tab-stop:36.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} @list l1 {mso-list-id:1762410403; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:100847754 -1757259458 269025305 269025307 269025295 269025305 269025307 269025295 269025305 269025307;} @list l1:level1 {mso-level-text:%1-; mso-level-tab-stop:36.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt;} ol {margin-bottom:0cm;} ul {margin-bottom:0cm;} --> Hello Friends, I would like to give little intro about me .I am student of Information Technology. I have received a course project, where I have to make a little networking with windows server 2003 and 3 client machines which I have to register with the DC 2003 and I have to apply security features after building the network. Now I am facing few issues which I am going to describe step by step under below.I cam going to write from start to end so I believe that will help you to understand my flaws where I am falling so far. I did work on server 2003 like 2 and half year back for six month at that time I have build the network physicallybut now I am working on VMware . Now I am explaining under step by step. 1- I have laptop which is wirelessly connected with my internet router which I got from my internet service provider. 2- My internet IP is on my host vista system is 192.168.1.64 subnet is 255.255.255.0 and default gateway is 192.168.1254 3- Now I have installed VMware on my vista 4- After installing VMware I installed and build two virtual windows server 2003 systems and windows xp 5- Now I chose one Virtual windows server 2003 to make it DC by using dcpromo command . 6- As soon as setup was done I got message that my server does not have any static ip address. 7- Then I opened network connection and then right clicked on local area connection then chose TCP/IP internet protocol then clicked on properties then I chose the use IP address following I typed the IP address and default gateway and then DNS server 8- Then I went to administrative tools then I chose active directory user and computers 9- Then I chose my local domain which I made such as project.local 10- Then I right clicked on the computers then I chose new then computer then box pop up asking the information like computer name as soon as I filled computer name of my second windows server 2003 running system the name of second computer is server2 I went to second computer. 11- In the second system I right clicked on my computer then properties then clicked on change then I chose domain which is project.local then clicked ok 12- After few seconds I got this error A DOMAIN CONTROLLER FOR THE DOMAIN PROJECT.LOCAL COULD NOT BE CONTACTED. ENSURE THAT THE DOMAIN NAME IS TYPED CORRECTLY. IF THE NAME IS CORRECT, CLICK DETAILS FOR TROUBLESHOOTING INFORMATION. 13- I have configured 2 virtual NICs in each virtual systems. Now, my question is 1- what is going wrong or what I have done wrong? 2- What should I do ? 3- How to configure my NICs? 4- Do I need to 2 NIC interface for each virtual system to connect with DC and internet? 5- How can I connected client system with DC Please, reply me in detail and step by step and help me to solve this problem.. I am running late then my target time I supposed to finish this network setting steps by last week Sunday and I had to start second steps of my project ..this is my first time here to ask please help me and guide me in detail. Hoping to hear positive reply Regards,
September 30th, 2009 12:27am

Hi fezsupper,thank you for posting in windows server forumsthis is because you havent setup the dns server appropriately .please mention us the process of setting up the dns server. steps====a) install the dns server which is hosting project.localb) point your DC primary dns server to itself c) point your clients primary dns server to DC ipaddress ( where yo have installed dns server ) sainath !analyze
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 30th, 2009 5:59am

Hello,Your issue here is how you set upyour vmware network. YOu need to set your network to VMnet1/Host-only so that both machines can communicated with each other. Make sure you install dns on the first domain controller and put them on the same vmware network. See the link below on how to configure vmware for a test lab.http://www.petri.co.il/virtual_create_network_testlab_vmware.htmIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
September 30th, 2009 6:42am

Hi, Thanks for the kind reply...............First thing I am not sure that i have installed DNS server or not but I am going to tell you What is I have in my system Now... the process by which i have setup the DNS Server is under given below.. 1- as soon as i start windows server 2003 on desktop screen i get Manage your Server window 2- In that window remote access /vpn server, domain controller, dns server, dhcp server options..... 3- i choose dns server and there is option is mange the dns server i clicked on it or there is another way by which i can still see the DNS by clicking start, administrative tools, then i clicked on DNS then i get DNS windows which is know as dnsmgmt - [DNS\SERVER1] and server1 is my DNS server name and it is also my windows server 2003 computer name too 4- as soon as i am on the window of dnsmgmt - [DNS\SERVER1] there is server name called server1 and as soon as i clicked on it there is three folders which are forward lookup zone, reverse lookup zone, and event viewer (I do know what should i have to do with these folders? Please, help me in this too if u do not mind.) 5- Now you tell me do i have DNS installed or not? if not then what should i have to do ? and how can i install it 6- how can i point my DC primary DNS server to itself? 7- I have also assign DC primaries IP address to client's DNS servers IP address i mean i went on virtual client system then clicked on start button, then control panel, then network connection, then local area, then right click on local area connection then properties then tcp/ip then properties then i have chosen "choose following ip address, which i used same as my internet router assigned this system, then i put ip address of My Created DC which is virtual DC windows server 2003's IP address as a DNS IP. Please guide me and again thanks for the reply willing to see more please guide me step by step in detail will appreciate you for this... Regards,
September 30th, 2009 6:49am

Hello,YOue DNS config seems to be correct..As my earlier posting stated. YOu need to get all your vm machines to communicate with each other. and to do this you must configure your vmware properly for networking ..see link above..Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
September 30th, 2009 6:56am

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Respected, I have installed VMware and installed both operating system in same VMware as concern about the DNS Server here is what I have done but i am not sure that i have installed DNS correctly or not but still i am writing in detail what i have done and what my machine is showing to me...which is given below..... 1- as soon as i start windows server 2003 on desktop screen i get Manage your Server window 2- In that window remote access /vpn server, domain controller, dns server, dhcp server options..... 3- i choose dns server and there is option is mange the dns server i clicked on it or there is another way by which i can still see the DNS by clicking start, administrative tools, then i clicked on DNS then i get DNS windows which is know as dnsmgmt - [DNS\SERVER1] and server1 is my DNS server name and it is also my windows server 2003 computer name too 4- as soon as i am on the window of dnsmgmt - [DNS\SERVER1] there is server name called server1 and as soon as i clicked on it there is three folders which are forward lookup zone, reverse lookup zone, and event viewer (I do know what should i have to do with these folders? Please, help me in this too if u do not mind.) 5- Now you tell me do i have DNS installed or not? if not then what should i have to do ? and how can i install it 6- how can i point my DC primary DNS server to itself? 7- I have also assign DC primaries IP address to client's DNS servers IP address i mean i went on virtual client system then clicked on start button, then control panel, then network connection, then local area, then right click on local area connection then properties then tcp/ip then properties then i have chosen "choose following ip address, which i used same as my internet router assigned this system, then i put ip address of My Created DC which is virtual DC windows server 2003's IP address as a DNS IP. I am going to check your given link and try to fix my problem and get some knowledge from it but still i will appreciate you to guide me again after using your link I will not able to see something or get any result then will come back to you and ask again for more help... Mean while i am going to check your link and see if it is works for me or not....? Hoping to hear from you soon... Regards,
September 30th, 2009 6:57am

Hello check the link and verify your vmware network setting. please let me know what settings your currently have for your vmware networkIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
September 30th, 2009 7:03am

Hello Sir, Sorry for late reply. I also was reading MCSE - 70-290 - Managing and Maintaining Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment book ....now i am just turned on the VMware system and will follow steps as mentioned in your given link.....I will get back to you as soon as I get anything positive or negative..... Thanks,
September 30th, 2009 7:31am

Sir, I have changed settings accordingly your given link and then start my operating systems after changing...before i have chosen NAT now as your given link mentioned I did....now after those changes i start my system i got in to home page of both systems then i went to network connection and opened the TCP/IP properties by clicking local area connection...i put static IP address in both systems.... I put IP address in DC windows server 2003's NIC interface is under given..in this virtual system i have used two NIC interfaces one I set it for Internet purpose in NAT and other one i set on Host-only which is know as A private network shared with the host.... Ethernet adapter local Area Connection: (This connection I have configured NAT which is known as Used to share the host's IP address for the internet purpose. I put those Static IP address ) Connection-specification DNS Suffix : I P Address................................................ : 192.168.180.131 subnet mask...............................................: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway..........................................: 192.168.180.130 Ethernet adapter local Area Connection 2: (This NIC interface is set up on Host-only which is know as A private network shared with the host and under given ip generated by the system I didnt put any static IP here just i chose obtain IP address automatically option from TCP/IP properties ) Connection-specification DNS Suffix : I P Address................................................ : 192.168.180.130 subnet mask...............................................: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway..........................................: In the second windows server 2003 virtual system when i typed under given static configuration in TCP/IP properties by choosing use the following IP address option Ethernet adapter local Area Connection: Connection-specification DNS Suffix : I P Address................................................ : 192.168.180.132 subnet mask...............................................: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway..........................................: 192.168.180.131 preferred DNS server....................................: 192.168.180.131 I am able to use ping each machines but still i am not able to access internet ....I am try to access internet from main DC windows server 2003 where DNS name is server1 and domain controller name is project.local Please let me know if i did something wrong and point my mistake so i will not do in future those mistakes again by the way thanks for the link which you gave me ...because of that link i am now able to ping but teach me what other steps i need to follow... Looking forward to your reply. Thanks,
September 30th, 2009 8:23am

After, configuring everything whatever i have written in previous message i tried client system to join the domain....like i clicked on my computer tab and then i right clicked, properties, then then a window opened where i chose computer name and then i clicked on change button where i got another window in there window my computer name is server2 and i chose Domain option from member of ...in this box i have mentioned my Domain name which project.local and hit ok after few minutes.. i got this message A DOMAIN CONTROLLER FOR THE DOMAIN PROJECT.LOCAL COULD NOT BE CONTACTED. ENSURE THAT THE DOMAIN NAME IS TYPED CORRECTLY. IF THE NAME IS CORRECT, CLICK DETAILS FOR TROUBLESHOOTING INFORMATION again...... I am only able to ping each virtual system but there is no internet and the client system can not able to join DC windows server 2003 ....Please, let me know if i have done something wrong again...?
September 30th, 2009 8:32am

Hello Sir, I hope, you are doing great. I have been working on my problem since last night without taking any rest now I just solved that issue. I just want to share with you that how I have solved and and for those who might face same issue in future so they can read my post and get idea that how can they solve issue if that will be as it is mine... I am so happy after long like last 5 days struggle I have solved this issue now I can move for second steps of my project, where I need to build IDS and Firewall in Unix... Now I would like to share my experience with you all out there ...I believe this experience might help you allot for your future issues too.... Step by step process:- 1- Since, you all can figure out I have install two windows server 2003 operating systems by virtually in VMware and facing issue... 2- After last night discussion with Isaac Oben, who tried to help me allot thanks for him, I came to know the problem could be with my VMware network i mean VMware NIC interface, I could choose wrong networking mode, which are know in VMware as Bridge, NAT, Host-only, and Custom. 3- I chose Bridge for each NIC interface for each virtual system 4- I started virtual windows server 2003 first system, which is my DC "Domain Controller" 5- As soon as I got on desktop I down grade my Domain Controller along with DHCP and DNS services 6- As soon as my all services and DC down grade I got message to restart the system 7- After restarting the system I got again on Desktop of my first Windows server 2003 system 8- Now, I opened " Manage your Server " window by clicking start button, Administrative tools, then Mange your server button as soon i clicked on the i got the new window which says manage your server 9- where I chose Add or remove role which is easily can be found on the middle of the page and on the first row 10- as soon i clicked on it i got another window then i just pressed next, after that I put my DNS name like project.local then clicked next and it was asking my password ......after filling those all steps i got pop message that after finishing setup system needs to restart so I did 11- as soon as system got back to the desktop after restart again the installation process pop up and try to install few more things after finishing with installation...i got a window which gave me brief description that what servers are running in my system and what is not...but i got one thing which is that configuration page showed me that my system had not static IP address...which is necessary for DC ...I mean DC has to has Static IP address... 12- Now close everything whatever opened in front of me on the desktop.....now i clicked start button and opened CMD which is know as doss command prompt 13- I typed ipconfig to know my ip addresses then I typed ipconfig /all where I got detail information for my network IP, DNS, and other useful informtion.... 14- now i minimized that doss window now i went to control panel then i clicked network connection then right clicked on local area connection then properties then i chose TCP/IP and clicked properties button 15- after clicking properties button I got a window where i chose " Use the Following IP Address" there I put same IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS address which is written on my Command prompt window, then i clicked ok and close the window now i opened my internet explorer which is working fine and i am able to get internet on it.... 16- Since my internet was working fine and i put static IP address with all required information...now second step was to add the client system with my domain... 17- Now clicked on start button then i clicked on administrative tools then active directory users and computers 18- now i got a window after few or nino seconds where i clicked on my DC name, which is project.local, from the tree as soon as i clicked i got list of containers 19- where i chose computers...i right clicked on it then i chose new then computers...as soon as i clicked on computer i got a window where it asking me to fill the name of computer which i wanted to connect with the DC after finishing with it i close that window pressing by ok 20- now i clicked on users container i right clicked on it then new then i i clicked new user..where i got new window where asking me to fill the information for the user which needed to use the system 21- after finishing with above steps i when to client virtual system and start it......as soon as that system got on desktop i went to control panel, network connection, then TCP/IP option then properties...... 22- I opened command prompt and wrote ipconfig command then i got list of information of my NIC interfaces 23- now i went back to TCP/IP properties and chose " use the following IP address" now here I typed same IP of this system, same subnet mask, same default gateway but in preferred DNS server i typed same IP address of my DC and in the second box I typed the Alternative DNS IP of my DC's DNS IP 24- Now i close those windows then i went to my computer icon I right clicked on it then properties then clicked Computer Name Tab then i chose change 25- here I put same computer name which i put in DC's Computer container...and Put my DC's DNS name which is project.local then clicked on ok 26- after few seconds a window pop up and where it is written you have to restart the system...after restarting the system I got login window where it was asking me to choose DC and put login and password to access the system That is how i configured my system and now I am working on those...... I am again thanking to all of those who helped and guide me in this forum for solving my problem. Thank you very much for your type which you took from your golden time to write me and guide with great ideas. Now, if someone is facing same or similar problem just i had so please follow these steps i believe u will get success.... Best Regards for Everyone, Fez
October 1st, 2009 3:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics