Need DNS server or not
Hi, During setting up Active directory, I did put the static IP and after that, I proceeded with the setup. But then I got this does it mean I should not choose DNS server above? Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 16th, 2012 12:11am

Is the first DC a GC? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739586(v=ws.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 16th, 2012 12:18am

What do you mean?Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 16th, 2012 12:39am

Is the first domain controller a global catalog server? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 16th, 2012 12:40am

The IP of the server is reachable from everywhere. How can I be sure it is a gc? Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 16th, 2012 12:51am

The IP of the server is reachable from everywhere. How can I be sure it is a gc? Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min To determine whether a domain controller is a global catalog server Open Active Directory Sites and Services. In the console tree, expand the Sites container, expand the site of the domain controller you want to check, expand theServers container, and then expand the Server object. Right-click the NTDS Settings object, and then click Properties. On the General tab, if the Global Catalog box is selected, the domain controller is designated as a global catalog server. I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. ... .- -. - --- ... ....
July 16th, 2012 12:59am

Hi, During setting up Active directory, I did put the static IP and after that, I proceeded with the setup. But then I got this does it mean I should not choose DNS server above? Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min Please read the article below A delegation for this DNS server cannot be created because the authoritative parent zone cannot be found or it does not run Windows DNS server. http://blogs.technet.com/b/activedirectoryua/archive/2011/07/07/a-delegation-for-this-dns-server-cannot-be-created-because-the-authoritative-parent-zone-cannot-be-found-or-it-does-not-run-windows-dns-server.aspxI do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. ... .- -. - --- ... ....
July 16th, 2012 1:02am

You try to create first DC in the new forest, but Your domain (HUAMIN.COM) is not root domain - it's subdomain in the domain COM. Domain COM must have delegation: record NS for name HUAMIN, pointed to Your server. This is bad practice - to name local domain in the internet namespace. You need to create in the existing DNS-structure fake first-level domain (for example LOCAL), add there NS record for Your domain HUAMIN, then create Your domain controller within 'DNS Server' role.
July 16th, 2012 1:05am

Thanks a lot. I am not able to Open Active Directory Sites and Services as it says "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be located"Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 16th, 2012 1:12am

Thanks a lot. I am not able to Open Active Directory Sites and Services as it says "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be located" Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min Are you installing a forest root domain controller ? If the answer is yes, you need not to be concerned about this warning message. Also, without a DC, you won't be able to open up AD Sites and Services. A GC can only be configured when you have a DC in place.I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. ... .- -. - --- ... ....
July 16th, 2012 1:53am

Thanks. I got that during setting up Active directory. Do you mean I can bypass such message?Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 16th, 2012 2:13am

Any advice to this?Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 16th, 2012 10:43pm

You never answered. Is the first domain controller a global catalog server? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 16th, 2012 10:53pm

Really sorry since I don't know how to check if it is yes or not!Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 16th, 2012 10:59pm

This one should sort it. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739586(v=ws.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 16th, 2012 11:02pm

Sorry, inside Win 08 server, how can I "Open the DNS snap-in and connect to a domain controller in the forest root domain"?Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 16th, 2012 11:13pm

From the command line. %SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\dnsmgmt.msc /s These ones may also help. Planning Global Catalog Server Placement http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737269(v=ws.10) Planning DNS Server Deployment http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc960550.aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 16th, 2012 11:24pm

Many many thanks. I am using Administrator login now in Win 08. Why do I get this? Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 16th, 2012 11:32pm

Are you logged onto other DC? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 16th, 2012 11:34pm

I did not. I only started the server this mornning. Could you please why this file does not exist there? C:\Windows\System32>dir dnsmgmt.msc Volume in drive C has no label. Volume Serial Number is EC15-D876 Directory of C:\Windows\System32 File Not FoundMany Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 16th, 2012 11:48pm

I'd check if DNS role is installed. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 16th, 2012 11:52pm

Thanks a lot. My DNS server is not set up yet and this is what we are checking in this thread, right? Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min
July 17th, 2012 12:00am

The graphic in first post indicates you're setting up an additional DC. You should install DNS on the first one and also make it a GC. Also not recommended to run a web server on a DC. Also this one may help. http://www.petri.co.il/installing-active-directory-windows-server-2008.htm Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 17th, 2012 12:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics