NTP Issues with Windows Server 2008
I am working at a place that uses an internal NTP appliance to synchronize time to a number of servers. Everything worked fine until they upgraded to 2008 server. We used to use a program called Dimension4 to sync time on the old servers but now with server 2008 are unable to sync time to our appliance. I have tried creating a batch file as follows to no avail: w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:192.168.120.4, /syncfromflags:MANUAL /reliable:yes w32tm /config /update net stop w32time net start w32time w32tm /resync Is there something I am missing? To be completely upfront, I can not get anything to sync with the appliance unless it uses the Dimension4 app which does not work under Windows Server 2008... I am at a complete loss... Thanks for any help that can be provided! Tony
January 10th, 2011 9:54pm

Why do you need this? Is there no way to get time from internet source? You may have to call them as I don't see server 2008 listed. http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/requirements.htm Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 10th, 2011 10:09pm

We really don't want to use that utility but it seems to be the only thing that works in syncing time on Windows XP machines to the time appliance... It used to work on server 2003 but not 2008. I think I have tried every command in respect to w32tm or net time to no avail. I even tried using Netmon to gather the SNTP packets and see if there is anything different between the packets to the appliance and the nist.gov servers; I just don't get it!
January 10th, 2011 11:09pm

What appliance? You might want to take it up with their support group. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 11th, 2011 2:03am

It's looking that way, I'll give them a call today. Thanks for your help!
January 11th, 2011 5:33pm

Ok, sounds good. Let us know how you get on with it. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 12th, 2011 6:54am

w32tm /config /update /manualpeerlist:"10.1.1.1,0x8 10.1.1.2,0x8 " /syncfromflags:MANUAL Note Use the 0x8 flag to force W32time to send normal client requests instead of symmetric active mode packets. The NTP servier replies to these normal client requests as usual. This is how I sync Windows clients to full NTP implementations like Cisco routers/switches and other appliances.Matt W. CCNP, CCDA, CCNA-S, RHCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, A+
January 12th, 2011 5:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics