NTFS permission ownership
By default home directory can not be accessed from other account even from domain admin account. Is there a way to acheive this without changing ownership to each and every folder? Basically I want the admin account to be able to view all home folders for all users. Thanks
March 6th, 2011 10:39pm

"By default" depends on how you are creating the folder. For the current situation, it's probably better to use some scripting to take ownership, then re-assign permissions, then give ownership back to user.MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor; CCNA
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 7th, 2011 1:54am

For example, if you set "CreateOwner - Full Control - subfolders only" + "Administrators - Full Control - Files, Subfolders and Files" on the root folder, Administrators will get permission on home directory. This command can help set ownership back to user: icacls setowner <user>Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
March 9th, 2011 4:29am

When I run icacls I get access is denied error. (Win 7 and Windo 2008 R2). I knew this was a problem in 2003 and MS released a hotfix. What about Windows 2008? I tried icacls \\server\users\username /setowner domainname\myadminaccount Thanks
March 20th, 2011 9:42pm

Whether the CMD box is run as Administrator? Or you can try disable UAC and test again.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
March 20th, 2011 10:28pm

takeown /f \\volume\users\username\ /r /d y icacls "\\volume\users\username" /grant "domain\administrator":RX /T icacls "\\volume\users\username\desktop.ini" /deny "domain\administrator":R icacls "\\volume\users\username" /setowner "domain\username":F /T It worked for me so far. But the problem is for the any new files (after the script run) I get access denied error. On the 2nd line I specified the /T but the NTFS permissions is getting applied for "this folder only". How can I apply to subfolders and files as well? Thanks
March 21st, 2011 12:43am

Actually I forgot to add the (OI)(CI) switch which fixed it thanks
March 21st, 2011 12:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics