NTFS permission after reinstalling windows 2008
I have rearmed the Windows 2008 file server to extend the grace period. But after applying the command slmgr.vbs –rearm it says " windows must eb reinstalled to activate " . I am concerned to reinstall because i the NTFS permision may be lost. Will the NTFS permission be retained after reinstalling Windows 2008 ?. Any help will be appreciated. -Ravikumar.Krishnasamy
July 18th, 2010 7:35am

Hi, Are you in a Domain? If so, Domain user permission in the NTFS settings will not be lost. You may need to configure some local user’s permission after reinstallation. Thanks This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2010 11:58am

I have rearmed the Windows 2008 file server to extend the grace period. But after applying the command slmgr.vbs –rearm it says " windows must eb reinstalled to activate " . I am concerned to reinstall because i the NTFS permision may be lost. Will the NTFS permission be retained after reinstalling Windows 2008 ?. Any help will be appreciated. -Ravikumar.Krishnasamy The problem question for you to answer... Is this file server member of a domain? If so - Are these folders in a separate partition or disk/volume? Is this file server running stand-alone with Local permissions? If so - Are these folders in a separate partition or disk/volume? I would also look at the "Server Properties" page to see if you can not make sure it's activated or update the product key to activate it. Right click on "Computer" in the start menu and open properties. The activation information should be at the bottom of the Properties window. NTFS Permissions scenario - Local System If you reformat, the folders and files will become orphaned with SIDs... I'm not talking about the infant death syndrom. Your user accounts and groups are identified by the Security ID that they carry, so when you distribute permissions throughout the files and folders, you add essentially a username. What is really added, is a security Identifier. If you were to analyze the NTFS security metadata, all you will see are SIDs, the Windows GUI translates each SID to a username in replacement. So what will need to happen is you will have to take "Ownership" of all of the files and give "administrators & system" full access... and start a clean slate to redistribute permissions. With every installation of Windows, you generate a single unique SID for the local system or the "computer" itself. So when you reinstall, your SID's between each user and group will not be the same. NTFS Permissions scenario - Domain Member Once you reinstall (granted you have all data on a second drive/partition/volume)... you will see the SIDs still until you rejoin the domain or invoke authentication to the Domain Controller (Net use \\server\Ipc$, smb = \\server\share) and then you can see usernames generate on the SIDs that appear in the security tab. Obviously you want to bring it back to the domain so you do not have to start over and/or embed those domain users as approved users on the local system without joining the domain. Either way you want to play ball, I recommend rejoining the domain. Also note, if you rejoin the domain, before you do, reset the computer account of the file server in Active Directory Users & Computers. Set the same name as the current file server name when you rejoin the domain, so the reset will acknowledge you're submitting that system(reinstalled) as replacement for the old system that was there(different unique SIDs on the computer from installation). Steve Kline - MCITP This posting is "as is" without warranties and confers no rights.
July 20th, 2010 5:00pm

Sorry for not getting back to you guys. Actually a reboot solved the issue. ( But I was all prepared for the reinstall before rebooting the server, a successfull full backup was ready ). Thank you for the inputs. _ Ravikumar Krishnasamy
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 5th, 2011 4:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics