NTFS File Permission

Hi All

i have a Folder Called EDP, inside that i have folders like client1, client 2 , etc . In these folders we put word and excel files .

Now i have two group , one called edpusers and other called managers and all users in these group have access to all files

I would like to give edp users the ability to create new files and edits and save files created by others in all the folder . but i would like to disable delete permission to all files and folders for the user group edpuser .

I tried various settings mentioned in different help sites . All sites mention that i have to give advanced permission , but that will allow edpusers group to delete files. if i don't they wont be saved edits on existing files.

Can any body guide , the correct solution

Thanks

George

August 27th, 2015 6:48pm

Hi George,

Generally we do not recommend to disable Delete permission on Office files - by default Office files will create a temp file for editing and replace the original file when we click Save. Disable Remove permission will prevent the temp file from replacing the original file and affect the process.

I assume the purpose is to prevent users from deleting files by accident. You can create backup or VSS shadow copies on those folders and train your users to be careful on editing files. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2015 11:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics