NTFS: Can not block inheritance
Hello , I have some problems understanding NTFS permissions and I hope you can help me out. I have blocked the inheritance from My folder Userdocs (Share Permissions: Change and Read, NTFS permissions :read) and gave every User specific NTFS Permissions :Full Controll on all personal Folders and Files. SEE IMAGE. But this is obviously not working-despite I see under Effective Permissions: Full control). I have to give Read and Execute Permissions on the UserDocs folder Why is that? It looks like I can not block the inheritance for NTFS permissions. Thank your time and afford in advance ! Karen
April 13th, 2012 7:45pm

you say that your UserDocs folder has Read NTFS permissions only. The READ permission does not grant List Folder Contents. That means, although the users can READ attributes and permissions of the UserDocs folder itself, they cannot list the contents of the folder. You need to give them READ&EXECUTE. EXECUTE wraps two things acutally - run an executable for files and list folder contents for folders. So Read&Execute is your guy. Of, you can go into the advanced permissions of the UserDocs folder and grant ListFolderContent exclusively to the folder. ondrej.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 16th, 2012 3:38am

Thanks Ondrej. Got it.
April 16th, 2012 3:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics