NLA not detecting / losing domain network
I am having an issue with Network Location Awareness incorrectly detecting my server 2008 boxes as on a public network when it is on an isolated domain. Sometimes it detects the domain after a while, but then it will drop back to public network again later. Sometimes rebooting helps, sometimes not. This has been working fine for quite a while, but after powering down the system for some building maintenance, I am experiencing this problem with several servers intermittently. My setup is as follows: DC: Server 2008. Member servers: Server 2008. Clients: Vista SP1. Member servers are each on their own subnet, and the default route for every server points to the firewall which redirects traffic to the correct subnet. All servers and clients should be on the domain profile permanently. Thanks,
October 12th, 2009 7:27pm

We may have found the solution with this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/967089 NLA was not crashing in any way we could detect, and appeared to still be running. However, we found that restarting the NLA service caused it to detect the network correctly. Rebooting did not have this effect, so possibly NLA crashed/failed due to something in the boot process.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 16th, 2009 12:40pm

OK, installing the hotfix did NOT fix the problem. I am now having the issue on 3 servers in the same domain. Each time they are rebooted, they detect as in either the Public or Private profile. A restart of the NLA service brings them into the Domain profile. Rebooting, or resetting the interface does NOT fix this problem. We are reluctant to install SP2 unless we are certain it will resolve the problem, especially given that SP2 requires a manual fix to repair the damage it does to the network settings. Anyone have any light to shed on this?
October 27th, 2009 11:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics