NIC loses its config after reboot
Hi I have a windows 2003 server, it has 2 NICs. Whenever I reboot the server it loses the settings on one of the NIC's (IP address etc). Any idea what might be causing this or how to fix? Thanks Paul
June 18th, 2010 12:48pm

From time to time, postings similar to yours appear. Usually, the fix will have something to do with one of the following actions: -Simply updating the drivers -either removing teaming software or other software that may be managing the NIC. -uninstall the NIC in device manager, let Windows detect it again. If you are interested in trying to figure out what the actual problem is, you may want to start by looking at the event viewer, system log and possibly the application log. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 18th, 2010 5:00pm

Hi PaulTech75 , According your description right now, it’s hard to verify what cause this issue. Any related event log will very helpful for troubleshooting . please check if it worked with Jorge ‘s troubleshooting method. Here is an article which introduce how to troubleshooting NIC issue for you reference: Advanced network adapter troubleshooting for Windows workstations http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325487 Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 22nd, 2010 5:20am

Hi PaulTech75, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 24th, 2010 4:22am

Hi Jorge Ok, I have updated the driver to the latest ones, there is no specific teaming software installed although you can access teaming via the driver. I have also tried uninstalling the NICs as you suggested. I notice the problem is actually worse that what I thought. If I set the IP address and then go back into the properties then it has already reverted back to DHCP. Ping still works but its when I reboot that the IP gets lost. So It seems as though the IP address only partially gets committed, rebooting merely loads the configuration that is "saved" so the problem seems more like the IP address is not getting saved, when I reboot it loses the settings that I inputted. Any more ideas? I think I'm going to have to rebuild the server :S Thanks Paul P.S. in the eventvwr, it just tells me that the default 169.x.x.x is being assigned, there are no errors
June 24th, 2010 1:55pm

Hi Tiger I did Jorge's suggestions but it didn't help unfortunately. It does appear that when I apply the settings the IP address is committed to memory but they aren't "saved". Hence when I go back into the properties the IP address has reverted back to DHCP, when I reboot, the settings in memory are lost and it goes back to the APIPA address as there are no DHCP servers present. Mighty frustrating! Paul
June 24th, 2010 2:03pm

Hi Guys I just thought I'd update you. I neglected to mention that there were 2 sets of NIC's one integrated pair and a pair of PCI ports. The sets the provider insists we use are the Intel PCI ports. The standard Dell PowerEdge integrated Broadcom NICs are not in use but it appears that the installed Broadcom Management suite was causing the conflict. I removed the broadcom suite and disabled the NICs and now the PCI Intel NICs are now saving their configuration. Problem solved I think! Thanks for the input guys Paul
June 24th, 2010 2:30pm

Hi Paul Thanks for you feedback. Glad you resolve this issue. Hope you will enjoy our TechNet Forum. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 25th, 2010 4:23am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics